Monday, Oct. 21, 2024
FEMALES ON THE FRONT LINES - Gemma Puglisi, professor in the School of Communication, moderates a panel discussion about challenges facing female journalists and the successes they have had along the way.

Female journalists discuss family, job balance

Three female journalists shared their experiences and discussed how the role of women in the newsroom continues to change during a forum Tuesday evening in Mary Graydon Center.

Kelli Arena, the Justice Department correspondent for CNN; Courtney Mabeus, reporter for The Washington Examiner; and Victoria Jaggard, writer and editor for National Geographic News, said they agreed the media industry is difficult for women to succeed in because of the long hours, family obligations and gender discrimination in the workplace.

Although an exciting career move, being a female journalist is difficult due to the problems and barriers in the workplace, according to the speakers.

"They may not always take you so seriously," Mabeus said. "Male authority figures thinking you're cute is hard to get use to."

Women have broken many barriers in the industry, but many positions in the newsroom are still dominated by males, Arena said.

"It took 30 years for a woman to become an executive producer" she said.

Arena, who has three children ages 5, 7 and 9, said she took three six-month leaves of absence while in a position that is normally held by a male.

"Officially, CNN was supportive, but unofficially, I got sneer comments for being away for too long," she said. "You disappoint a lot. My kids cry a lot. You don't get to go to every recital or birthday party, but it's a choice you make."

Jaggard also described the losses she had suffered because of her profession.

"I am, in fact, divorced, and that is a casualty of my profession," Jaggard said. "Hobbies tend to fall by the wayside, and I'm always late."

Despite the difficulties of being a woman working in journalism, the benefits of having a front seat to history makes it worthwhile, she said.

"Juggling family and work is possible for men and women in journalism," Jaggard said.

She then cited her managing editor at National Geographic, who takes care of his 5-year-old daughter while maintaining a stressful job, as an example.

Simone Echeverri-Gent, a senior at the College of Arts and Sciences, said she admired Arena's ability to manage family and career.

"I just think she is amazing juggling all the things she does being married with three children," she said. "I think she's the ultimate woman."

Gemma Puglisi, an assistant professor in the School of Communication and the forum's moderator, said she was glad there was a great turnout to the event.

"We saw men in there, lots of students - it was great," she said.

Her staff estimated a turnout of about 75 people who also took part in the ice cream social following the event.

Puglisi said she hopes to reach more students preparing for a career in journalism with similar forums on the issues many female journalists face in the real world.

"We've made great strides in journalism, but we still have a way to go," she said.

"Women in Journalism" was co-sponsored by SOC, the SOC Undergraduate Council and Women's Initiative.