Monday, Oct. 21, 2024

Metro calendar

Monday, Sept. 24

"From Protest to Power": A Discussion on the Congressional Black Caucus 7 p.m. WHERE: U.S. National Archives and Records Administration, on Constitution Avenue N.W. between 7th and 9th streets METRO: Archives-Navy Memorial (green and yellow lines) INFO: Rep. James Clyburn, D-S.C., majority whip of the House of Representatives, joins others to discuss the past, present and future of the caucus. Admission is free. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-501-5000.

Tuesday, Sept. 25

Alan Alda 7 p.m. WHERE: Sixth and I Historic Synagogue, 600 I St. N.W. METRO: Gallery Place-Chinatown (red, yellow and green lines) INFO: The Emmy- and Golden Globe-winner discusses his book, "Things I Overheard While Talking to Myself." Admission is $6. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-364-1919.

Wednesday, Sept. 26

Panel Discussion: Can the Suburbs Kill You? 6-8 p.m. WHERE: National Building Museum, 401 F St. N.W. METRO: Judiciary Square (red line) INFO: The first part of this series, "Measuring the Health Effects of Suburban Sprawl," explores the history of suburban development and examines new studies from the Centers for Disease Control on the negative long-term effects of living in the suburbs. Admission is $12 for students, and reservations are required. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-272-2448.

Thursday, Sept. 27

Fall for the Book Festival WHERE: George Mason University, 4400 University Drive, Fairfax, Va. METRO: Vienna/Fairfax- GMU (orange line) INFO: This public festival features events designed to promote literacy, reading and writing. The event runs Sept. 23 through Sept. 28. Admission is free. CONTACT: For more information, call 703-993-3986.

Friday, Sept. 28

The Great Punch-Out: A Week of Hard-Hitting Boxing 7 p.m. WHERE: The Library of Congress, 101 Independence Ave. S.E. METRO: Capitol South (blue and orange lines) INFO: This event, which runs from Sept. 24 through today, features Hollywood and documentary films about boxing. Show times are 7 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and 6:30 p.m. Wednesday. Admission is free, but seating is limited, so reservations are recommended. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-707-5677.

Saturday, Sept. 29

Clarendon Day Noon-7 p.m. WHERE: Clarendon and Wilson boulevards between North Garfield Street and Washington Boulevard METRO: Clarendon (orange line) INFO: Enjoy food, art and music to celebrate Clarendon, the original downtown of Arlington, Va. Admission is free. CONTACT: For more information, call 703-812-8881.

Sunday, Sept. 30

Crafty Bastards Arts and Crafts Fair 10 a.m.-5 p.m. WHERE: Marie Reed Recreation Center, 2200 Champlain St. N.W. METRO: Dupont Circle (red line) INFO: The fair features 100 arts and crafts vendors as well as food and entertainment. Admission is free. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-332-2100.