Monday, Oct. 21, 2024

Most AU schools see grad enrollment rise this year

Grad student levels at all-time high

More people than ever began master's degree programs this fall, according to The New York Times. Although the number varies among AU's schools, most saw increased enrollment from last year, according to an Aug. 9 statement from President Neil Kerwin.

Across the country, the number of graduate students has more than doubled in the last 25 years, The Times reported.

While there has been an increase in graduate admissions and interest over the past several years, the increase has not been dramatic, said Kathy Clowery, director of graduate admissions of the College of Arts and Sciences.

"Some schools may have seen a more marked increase than others," she said. "The School of International Service, for instance, may be in higher demand because of the current political climate."

World events have driven the increase in students at SIS, said Yasmin Quianzon, director of graduate admissions and financial aid at SIS.

"In recent years, we have seen an increase in our application numbers, most particularly after 9/11, when a marked increase in interest in the discipline of international affairs occurred," she said in an e-mail. "The main factor is demographic. The baby boomers' babies are now 17- [and] 18-year-olds."

The enrollment increases are more apparent at one D.C. college.

In the last three years, the number of applications to George Washington's master's degree programs has increased by 11 percent, Kristin Williams, executive director of graduate student enrollment at George Washington University, said in an e-mail.

"Further, applications to other post-baccalaureate, pre-doctoral graduate programs have actually tripled in the last three years," she said.

Reasons for this marked increase are varied. Factors ranging from the fluctuating economy to the changing job market have influence.

"The competitiveness of the market has increased," said Adeyemi Stembridge, director of the AU McNair Scholars Program, which helps graduate students find funding for their studies.

It is particularly aimed at first-generation college students and those traditionally under-represented in research positions, according to the program's Web site.

"More and more undergraduate students are aware of the fact that an undergraduate degree may not allow them optimal job placement," he said.

One AU student is considering graduate school early in her undergraduate career.

"I'm a sophomore, and I'm already thinking about graduate school," said Emilia Giordano, a sophomore in the School of Communication. "I think that if you want to be a professional, you have to go to grad school."

Other students may complete a master's degree for the potential increase in income. Those with a high school diploma and no college education earned an average of $595 a week in 2006, according to the U.S. Department of Labor. College graduates earned an average of $962 per week, and those with master's degrees earned $1,140 a week.

However, not all graduate students are recent college graduates. There is also a sizeable demographic of adult students returning to school. Stembridge said he has also seen a number of individuals who decide to pursue their graduate degree after being in the work force for five to seven years.

AU offers over 50 master's programs in six schools - the five undergraduate schools plus the Washington College of Law. Tuition is $19,998 for graduate students for the 2006-2007 school year; M.B.A. candidates' tuition is $27,404 for this academic year. Undergraduate tuition is $30,958, according to the admissions department's Web site.