Monday, Oct. 21, 2024

NCAA may change financial aid rules

The National Collegiate Athletic Association is considering changing a bylaw that would affect student athletes' financial aid.

The proposed amendment would prohibit colleges from reducing athletics-based aid if an athlete suffers from injury or other medical condition, regardless of whether it prevents him or her from playing, according to an e-mail from Jennifer Kearns, associate director of public and media relations at the NCAA.

The current bylaw bans colleges from decreasing athletics-based financial aid for students who cannot participate because of injury, but does not specify what action the college may take in other situations, such as if an athlete has mononucleosis, depression, an eating disorder, is pregnant or is addicted to drugs or alcohol.

AU does not currently have a policy to deal with these types of conditions but will comply with the new NCAA regulations if the NCAA Management Council approves them, according to Rob Acunto, AU's associate athletic director for compliance.

The NCAA can penalize institutions that do not comply with regulations through probationary periods, bans on post-season competition and reductions of athletic scholarships, according to the NCAA Web site.

Colleges can reduce or cancel financial aid if a student "renders himself or herself ineligible for intercollegiate competition," according to another NCAA bylaw. Illnesses and medical conditions such as pregnancy, eating disorders, mononucleosis or drug or alcohol addiction would not be considered self-inflicted under the new bylaw.

The proposed amendment "promotes student-athlete well-being" and ensures a student would not be "placed in a position whereby he or she is required to forego aid during the period of the award," according to a statement from the NCAA Academics/Eligibility/Compliance Cabinet.

If passed, the legislation would go into effect this fall.

The new bylaw does not make sense, said Ryan Baker, a junior in the School of Communication and a member of AU's soccer team, because he does not consider an eating disorder an injury.

"It can affect the way you play, but it's not like you're hurt [physically]," he said.

Since there are plenty of ways to prevent medical conditions such as pregnancy, colleges can take away scholarships in such cases, Baker said.

Lacross player Alyssa Romano, a sophomore in SOC, said she completely agrees with the proposed bylaw changes.

"To take away money because of that [pregnancy, eating disorders, depression, etc.] is ridiculous," she said.

Changes in financial aid should depend on the situation, said Jesse Ogle, a junior in SOC and an AU soccer player.

"In some instances, they should take [the aid] away," he said. "[But] once they sign a contract, [the college] has to abide by that."

Jill Ravey, a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences, said she has a friend who plays NCAA field hockey and has an eating disorder.