Monday, Oct. 21, 2024
FREEDOM FORUM - Ken Paulson, editor and vice president of USA TODAY and USATODAY.com, and Suzanne Spaulding, principal of Bingham Consulting Group, speak at the American Forum on the importance of free press and checks and balances after the events of Sep

Panel: secrecy challenges media

A breakdown of the basic system of checks and balances has forced the United States' press into a unique and dangerous position, according to panelists at the American Forum Monday night in Katzen's Abramson Recital Hall.

This week's forum, moderated by SOC professor Jane Hall, brought five experts to discuss how their professions have changed in the past six years, how they expect the course of change to continue and what role they feel the press has to play in the modern age.

The panelists focused on, among other topics, the overly secretive ways of the Bush administration. The panel also discussed the administration's attempts to gather unprecedented power under the executive branch, seriously damaging the system of checks and balances.

"There can be harm to national security with overclassification," said Suzanne Spaulding, principal of Bingham Consulting Group and an expert on national security issues.

USA TODAY TURNS 25

Monday's American Forum was part of a weeklong celebration of the 25th anniversary of USA TODAY, sponsored by the School of Communication and co-sponsored by the Career Center and The Eagle. Other events throughout the week include:

Through Sept. 14 Celebrating 25 Years of USA TODAY

This exhibition of USA TODAY front pages and photos is located in the Katzen Arts Center.

Sept. 13 Reinventing the News Business: 1982 and Today 7 p.m.

This invitation-only event is a tribute to Al Neuharth, former president and chairman of Gannett. Speakers include winners of the Al Neuharth Award for Excellence in the Media, including Helen Thomas, Bob Schieffer, Jim Lehrer, Judy Woodruff and John Siegenthaler, as well as SOC Dean Larry Kirkman and AU President Neil Kerwin.

Sept. 14 How an Upstart Influenced the Industry 1 p.m.

USA TODAY editors will give a presentation about why USA TODAY got worldwide attention. After the presentation, students can ask questions about the presentation and talk about careers. Amy Eisman, founding cover story editor at USA TODAY and a professor at AU, will moderate the event. It will be held in the Abramason Family Recital Hall at Katzen Arts Center.

The new outpouring of leaks in the executive branch, legislative branch and the intelligence agencies is a direct result of the frustration these new policies have caused, according to Meredith Fuchs, general council to the National Security Archive. By minimizing checks and balances, the Bush administration has made those Washington insiders disturbed with executive actions feel forced to go to the press, Fuchs said.

"It's the secrecy and the lack of oversight and the lack of checks and balances that have driven a lot of the stories we've seen in the last few years," Eric Lichtblau, the New York Times reporter who broke the domestic spying story, said in reference to stories about the CIA prisons and wiretapping.

This has put the press "in the uncomfortable position to play watchdog because Congress has been cut out," Lichtblau said.

But playing the role of Congress has caused a backlash across the board. Citing a recent trend of journalists being subpoenaed, jailed and threatened with espionage charges, Ken Paulson said he believes the media "are now in battle with every political branch."

"We've lost the public opinion, so we lost the judiciary," said Paulson, editor and vice president of news at USA TODAY and USATODAY.com.

In a time when the executive branch calls out against supposed activist judges and the public is divided over the supposed left wing media and right wing Fox, journalists must continue to strive to do their job in a responsible manner, balancing the need for governmental transparency and the need for national security, according to the panel.

"Too often the American public, and this is our fault, forget we work for them," Paulson said.

The School of Communication teamed up with USA TODAY to commemorate the paper's 25th anniversary. The American Forum was one of three events celebrating the paper's anniversary.

"Freedom of the Press in a Post 9/11 Age" was sponsored by SOC and The Eagle.

Staff Writer Kendra Garstka contributed to this report.