Monday, Oct. 21, 2024
MAKIN' MUSIC- Mark Caruso jams on guitar, covering B.B. King with Ivers' band Zeebop in the first installment of the KPU series.

SPA prof shows off musical side in Tavern

Ivers performs with his band in first of KPU "Professors are People, Too" series

Zeebop, an acoustic jazz band that features School of Public Affairs professor Gregg Ivers on drums, performed Wednesday evening in the Tavern as part of the Kennedy Political Union's "Professors are People, Too" series.

The "Professors are People, Too" series is an offshoot of last year's KPU "Finest Faculty" series, which featured speeches from professors who had won the Faculty Scholar Award, according to Amanda Fulton, KPU director and a junior in SPA and the School of Communication. This year's series, which showcase professors' hobbies, is an entertaining alternative, she said.

The series will hold events two or three times per semester, Fulton said.

Fulton said she took a constitutional law class with Ivers and later realized he would be perfect for the series.

"I know [Ivers] has a really good student fan base, and he's relatable to students," Fulton said.

Zeebop, which began its performance with covers of B.B. King's "The Thrill is Gone" and Eric Clapton's "Crossroads," last performed at AU the week before classes started and have played local spots such as Chef Geoff's on New Mexico Avenue, Twins Jazz on U Street and the Mayorga Coffee Roasters, a coffee shop, in Silver Spring, Md., according to Ivers.

The band has been together for a year and, along with Ivers, includes guitarists Mark Caruso and Mark Kowal and bassist Justin Parrot.

Ivers said there is no connection between his academic work and the music he plays - the band just plays for fun.

Jonathan McPike, a former student of Ivers' and a senior in SPA, watched Zeebop perform for the first time Wednesday. The band's music was enjoyable, he said.

"I think it's a good sound," McPike said.

Jeremy Diamond, a junior in SOC, said Zeebop's music was "funky" and "awesome."

"I'm not into jazz, but this is pleasing," Diamond said as he watched the performance.

The next "Professors are People, Too" event will feature Patrick Jackson, the director of the General Education program, discussing Star Wars, according to Fulton.

The event was sponsored by KPU, Eagle Nights and SOC professor W. Joseph Campbell.