Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

The week in fun

Thursday, Sept. 20

DC Grooves presents Little Richard 7 p.m.-9 p.m., free WHERE: Woodrow Wilson Plaza at the Reagan Building INFO: The DC Commission on Arts and Humanities presents its DC Grooves grand finale tonight with the self-proclaimed "Emancipator of Rock and Roll," Little Richard. The 74-year-old and a full ensemble will play his hits, including "Tutti Frutti" and "Good Golly Miss Molly." Word has it his screaming vocals are still going strong.

Friday, Sept. 21

Crap 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Thursday through Saturday 9:30 p.m., $5 WHERE: Black Cat backstage INFO: If you haven't gotten the appropriate dose of irony yet this week or you genuinely appreciate the music of David Hasselhoff, stop by the Crap dance night backstage at Black Cat. DJ Yum Yum plays "bad music on purpose," sure to make you feel better about your own music collection.

Saturday, Sept. 22

Off the Beaten Path Bike Tour: Discover Lonely and Overlooked Landmarks 1 p.m.-4 p.m., free WHERE: Meets at Thomas Jefferson Memorial Plaza INFO: Who is Kasimir Pulaski, anyway? Why does that horse have one hoof off the ground? Discover the answer to these and other pressing questions at this National Park Service-sponsored bike tour. No reservations required, but bring your own bike, helmet and water bottle.

Sunday, Sept. 23

La Fayette at Fall Fest Noon-4 p.m., $15 WHERE: Tudor Place Historic House and Garden INFO: Show some support for this fighter in the French and American Revolutions! The Fall Fest includes an interactive tour of this historic mansion and an exhibition on the revolutionary featuring early objects and costumes. Rumor has it children can "meet" the Marquis de La Fayette and Martha Washington. Bonus: Admission includes lunch complete with delectable French treats! Reservations required. Visit www.tudorplace.org/registration.html for details.

Monday, Sept. 24

Hell is for Heroes: Freestyle Battle 8 p.m., 21+, $5 WHERE: DC9 INFO: Lucky enough to be 21? This safe alternative to physical fighting pits competitors against one another in a battle of spontaneous rhyming. Come as a spectator or register to participate at the event.

Tuesday, Sept. 25

NMWA 20th Anniversary Festival of Women's Film and Media Arts Opening Reception 5:30 p.m.-7 p.m.; 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. through Sept. 30 $8 for students WHERE: The National Museum of Women in the Arts INFO: The National Museum of Women in the Arts presents screenings, discussions, performances, installations, panels and receptions in this five-day festival. Celebrate the work of talented contemporary female filmmakers with artistically and socially relevant work. The opening ceremony is mainly a preview, but full-length pieces will be shown on subsequent days. More schedule information available at www.nmwa.org/filmfest/schedule.html. Reservations required.

-LAURA SCHUETZ