Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

The week in fun calendar

Thursday, Sept. 27

Shake That Azz: To Support Sex Worker Rights 7 p.m., $5-$10 suggested donation WHERE: Fab Lounge, 1805 Connecticut Ave. N.W. INFO: Dupont nightclub the Fab Lounge hosts a dance-party benefit for sex worker rights. A handful of DJs and a silent auction sound pretty cool to us, but we're mostly intrigued by the "floor shows," occurring at 8 and 9 p.m.

Friday, Sept. 28

Festival of Women's Film and Media Arts Films beginning from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m., most events are $8 for students WHERE: National Museum of Women in the Arts, 1250 New York Ave. N.W. INFO: The National Museum of Women in the Arts' film festival runs from Sept. 25 to Sept. 30. This Friday, be sure to check out "Homegirls: A Screening and Panel Discussion with Local Filmmakers" at 6:30 p.m. It features a short film, which has been making the rounds at international film festivals, about hometown label Dischord Records. See www.nmwa.org/filmfest/ for information on film times and tickets.

Saturday, Sept. 29

Thurston Moore Doors open at 8:30 p.m., $15 WHERE: Rock and Roll Hotel, 1353 H St. N.E. INFO: Sonic Youth front man Thurston Moore will take the Rock and Roll Hotel stage Saturday night. Touring to promote his latest solo record, "Trees Outside the Academy," Moore will no doubt realize all of the daydreams of the nation's capital.

Sunday, Sept. 30

Crafty Bastards Arts and Crafts Fair 10 a.m.-5 p.m., free WHERE: Marie Reed Recreation Center, 2200 Champlain St. N.W. INFO: Approximately 100 arts and crafts vendors will come together for this yearly event. Enjoy workshops, bands and a sideshow while perusing hip handmade goods. Oh, and don't miss the break-dancing competition at 2:45 p.m.

Monday, Oct. 1

Patrick Wolf 8 p.m., $15 WHERE: Black Cat Mainstage, 1811 14th St. N.W. INFO: Androgynous English songbird Patrick Wolf will certainly put fans in the magic position this Monday night. Finally, we can examine the validity of that treasure chest below his breast. Get there early to check out Wolf's fellow countrywoman, singer and DJ Bishi.

Tuesday, Oct. 2

Henry Rollins: Provoked Spoken Word Tour 7:30 p.m., $25 WHERE: The Birchmere, 3701 Mt. Vernon Ave., Alexandria, Va. INFO: In case you missed him the night before (had to see Patrick Wolf, of course), the folks at Alexandria's Birchmere theater are giving you another opportunity to see Henry Rollins. Sit back and try to relax as the former Black Flag front man speaks - or rather, shouts - his mind.