Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

The week in fun : Know your city

Calendar

With the second season of the classic Tom Hanks sitcom "Bosom Buddies" now available on DVD, it's hard to avoid the temptation of spending these sunny days in your room. Here are eight reasons to reconsider. Thursday, Sept. 6

MC Hammer Woodrow Wilson Plaza at the Reagan Building 7 p.m., free

This first installment of D.C. Grooves, the D.C. Commission on the Arts and Humanities' evening outdoor concert series, promises such hits as "2 Legit 2 Quit," "Pray" and "U Can't Touch This." No word on what surprises the MC has in store for the crowd. The only thing we ask is please, Hammer, don't hurt 'em.

Friday, Sept. 7

Final Day of 1460 Wall Mountables Installation D.C. Arts Center Open 2p.m.-7 p.m., free

Talk about creative use of space. Participants in the D.C. Arts Center's annual fundraising installation pay for two square feet of wall space for a chance to display their artwork. Here's to hoping no one circumcised himself and nailed the foreskin to the wall for this exhibition.

Saturday, Sept. 8

Mousetrap: D.C.'s Britpop Dance Night Black Cat 9:30 p.m. on the mainstage, $10

Ring in the new school year with this semester's first Mousetrap, every hipster's favorite reason to wear impractical and/or flamboyant clothing. Hear D.J. Mark Zimin spin old and new Britpop favorites while you dance around in your strapless romper. Bonus: visit the free soul and funk dance party backstage when in need of a genre shift.

Ethiopian Millennium in Washington, D.C. 8:30 p.m. at D.C. Armory, $45

Didn't get enough celebrating in the first time around? You might be happy to know that under the Ethiopian calendar it's still 1999 until Sept. 11. The D.C. Armory hosts Ethiopian musicians, artists and vocalists, celebrating cultural and modern music and dance. Visit www.ethiopianmillennium2000.com for more information.

Sunday, Sept. 9

Meat Puppets Black Cat 8 p.m. on the mainstage, $15

The 1980s "cowpunk" legends take their alternative twang onstage at the Black Cat. If only their act was as dirty as it sounds. Giant marionettes made of meat, like some lurid circus act where the real freak is you, sicko. You paid money for this?

Monday, Sept. 10

Lecture: Designing the Nation's Capital: The 1901 Plan for Washington, D.C. The National Building Museum 12:30p.m.-1:30 p.m., free

Curious about why streets in D.C. stop and reappear again with little to no logic? How about why streets seem to go in alphabetical order ... sometimes? The U.S. Commission of Fine Arts recently published a collection of essays providing historical context for the city's design and examining lesser-known features of the plan. Local architectural historian and collection co-editor Pamela Scott will participate in the discussion held with several of the essay's authors.

Tuesday, Sept. 11

Exhibition Opening: Manju Shandler: "GESTURE" Honfleur Art Gallery 7:30 p.m., free

New York artist Manju Shandler's "GESTURE" is a tribute to those who perished on September 11 and offers up a tangible allegory for the loss by placing together one brick-sized painting for every life lost that day. This event is also a memorial reception. For more information, visit www.honfleurgallery.com.

Wednesday, Sept. 12

Walking Tour: Do You Have An Opinion of Washington, D.C.? The corner of 14th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue N.W. 10a.m.-11 a.m., free

Are you ready to give the District a what-for? Take a guided history walk on Pennsylvania Avenue with National Park Service rangers to discover a key part of national and D.C. history. Sponsored by Cultural Tourism D.C., this tour promises a unique view of "America's Main Street." Call 202-606-8691 to make the required reservations.