Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

Theater brings out kid in coeds

An ideal Saturday morning for most college students involves sleeping past noon, a late breakfast and generally ignoring the conventions of time. It tends to not include waking up earlier than students usually do for most classes to watch people dress up like kings or princesses to entertain children.

It's kind of hard to imagine anything called "The Lady of Bullyburg" appealing to the so-called sophisticated tastes of college students, but appearances can be deceiving.

This fall and winter, the National Theatre, a nonprofit community outreach program in the District., is hosting a series of 10 "Saturday Morning at the National" performances. Aimed at children ages 4 and up, the series features acts from the most delightful of fairy tale performances to talent shows by retired Harlem Globetrotters and even wild-animal exhibits.

The Sept. 22 show hosted the Bright Star Children's Theatre, a traveling acting group based in South Carolina. At around 9:30 a.m., the doors opened for parents and kids of all ages at no charge. Due to renovations at the National Theatre, the children's series is currently located at the Marriott Hotel in Metro Center. "The Lady of Bullyburg," the first featured performance, entertained an audience of about 25 elementary school-aged children with minimal scenery, props, a few costume changes and only two performers - but it could entertain college students as well.

The play follows a headstrong princess, Lady Kindness, as she enlists the help of the charismatic and humorous Merchant Mike to get rid of an overly defensive bully. After appointing four of the most precious little girls from the audience, the bully is defeated by their affection and vows to never bully again.

Conveniently inserted in this zealous and over-the-top dramatic performance are lessons for children on the importance of kindness and respect, and what to do should you ever come face to face with a bully. Overall, the performance, while not particularly profound or articulate, displayed a fair level of talent in the performers. They should be praised for their ability to keep kids occupied for 45 minutes.

The only thing missing now is why this performance, which is not at all geared toward college students or their interests, should be a part of an undergraduate's weekend agenda. Things aren't always as they seem, however, and attending one of these shows is a perfect example.

What is most striking about these seemingly simple and watered-down children's plays is how it is so effortlessly good at what it aims to do. Students in the middle of trying to find out what leads to success - and what ends in failure - can certainly learn a lot from the show. This is especially true when it comes to choosing a major and eventually a career path, said David Ostergaard of the Bright Star Children's Theatre.

"From our perspective the 'Saturday Morning at the National' series serves many purposes for the greater Washington, D.C., community," ostergaard said. "For older students, it provides a glimpse into the work of professional companies across America - a particularly useful resource for students."

It can also be an excellent asset for students outside of the performing arts. Students interested in childhood development or early childhood education can find much inspiration in watching a child's reaction to live theater. John Loomis, corporate administrator at the National Theatre, is adamant about the benefits of attending these sorts of events.

"Theater involving children can reference a lot of different career objectives other than theater," he said. "It's an excellent opportunity for college-age kids." While it may seem like only a small-time theater production for kids, never underestimate what could bring some really valuable perspective. With the chagrin of early mornings and the noisy kids set aside, a trip to the National Theatre is a great way to spend a Saturday morning. Performances run from now until Dec. 15. For more information on "Saturday Morning at the National," visit its Web site at www.nationaltheatre.org, or call 202-783-6854.