Saturday, Oct. 19, 2024

Volleyball fails to bring home a win this weekend

The women's volleyball team traveled to Provo, Utah, to participate in the Brigham Young University Molton Classic this past weekend. While the team did not emerge victorious, several players broke personal records.

The team, undefeated before the tournament, played three games in two days and finished Saturday with a record of 4-3.

Friday, the women suffered their first loss of the season in a match against the Northern Iowa Panthers. The Panthers had a 2-1 record before the tournament and recorded 14 team blocks throughout the game.

Senior Tara Stradling led the Eagles on Friday with 21 assists and three blocked attacks, tying her career high. Junior Rubena Sukaj, recently named player of the week, dominated with 18 kills and 10 digs for her first double double of the year. A double double is when a player exceeds double digits in two different types of plays in the game. Lasting more than an hour, the game had 126 people in attendance.

Saturday, in a game against the Brigham Young University Cougars, the team lost 3-0 but had several highlights from star players juniors Sukaj and Christina Nash. Nash, a consistent setter, assisted on 20 attacks and dug five balls, while Sukaj recorded nine kills. Sophomores Julia Borecka and Claire Recht also made their presence known. Borecka contributed with eight kills and two blocks, and Recht blocked five Cougar attacks.

In the third game of the weekend, the Eagles playedWisconsin. While the Eagles lost 3-0, Sukaj had a team high of 13 kills and blocked a season high of four attacks. Star setter Stradling led the Eagles again with 14 assists and three service aces. The Eagles will travel to North Carolina this weekend for the UNC Classic where the team will face Western Kentucky, Villanova and University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.