Saturday, Oct. 19, 2024

Volleyball wins opening Patriot League matches

The women's volleyball team traveled to Worchester, Mass., Tuesday night to play the Holy Cross Crusaders. Although the team has not had much success at away games this season, the Eagles did not let their location shake their spirit last night.

The match was the opener to the Patriot League schedule, and the ladies won 3-1, making their league record 1-0. This is the Eagles' ninth win of the season.

After losing the first round 30-22, the team stepped up its game and dominated in the remaining matches. In the first game of the night, the women had 11 errors and only recorded seven kills, a team low. However, by the second game, they gained momentum and had an outstanding 18 kills and only five errors. Junior Rubena Sukaj had a game high with eight kills, alongside setter Christina Nash, who tallied 12 assists. Cassandra Ricketts and Chelsa Brooks both lent helping hands with their 1.000 and .750 hitting percentages, respectively. The next two games proved to be just as successful.

In game three, Nash tallied 12 assists, while teammate Sukaj recorded five kills and a .500 hitting percentage.

The fourth game was the winning closer for AU. The Eagles had a .400 hitting average and only four errors.

Having had a bittersweet season thus far, the Eagles were enthusiastic about beginning the Patriot League schedule.

"It might be a little tougher, but there is no reason why we shouldn't be able to come back with two wins this week," senior Logan Striebel said. "I think my team is really looking forward to hosting the PL tournament and holding that trophy again."

The trophy is not far off; the Eagles played Army Wednesday night and brought home its second 3-1 win. The team is now 2-0 in the Patriot League. The Eagles take on Navy Sept. 28.