Monday, Oct. 21, 2024

Week's events meant to raise campus civility

The Office of Campus Life hosted a series of events last week to raise awareness of domestic violence and the power of civil actions as part of the ongoing CIVITAS campaign.

The week's main attraction was a keynote presentation Wednesday by Katie Koestner, a date rape survivor and national spokeswoman on sexual abuse. More than 400 students attended her speech.

Avani Patel, a sophomore in the College of Arts and Science, attended the event and said she though Koestner did well at incorporating her own experiences into her speech.

"[Koestner] didn't just throw out facts, she told her own story," Patel said. "She wasn't attacking the men. She even talked about men who have been victims of date rape."

Koestner's keynote presentation coincided with the "Turning Anger Into Change" donation drive for the D.C. Rape Crisis Center. Students could donate clothes and toiletries for women who were survivors of sexual violence.

Other CIVITAS Week events, such as the Cross-Cultural Communication Civili-Tea, the Be Kind Campaign and the Center for Teaching Excellence's Noontime Conversation on encouraging civility and engagement on-campus, dealt with promoting civility on AU's campus, according to an information sheet from the Office of Campus Life.

Workshops on note-taking skills and time management, which were sponsored by the Academic Support Center, were also connected to CIVITAS Week, according to the information sheet.

The Office of Campus Life launched the CIVITAS campaign in fall 2003 to encourage civility and responsible citizenship in the AU community.

The Civility Coordination Committee of Campus Life, a division of the Office of Campus Life, coordinated last week's events. The events were also co-sponsored by a variety of on-campus organizations.

Greek Life, the Athletic and Recreation Department, Public Safety and the Child Development Center all took part in the week, according to Katsura Belitz, director of Judicial Affairs and Mediation Services and chairwoman of the Civility Committee.

Most people appreciate the fact that a group of concerned members in the community are devoted to the issue of preventing violence and promoting civility, Belitz said.

CIVITAS Week events overview

During CIVITAS Week, which occurred from Sept. 17 to 20, several campus organizations sponsored events meant to help increase civility among members of the campus community, according to information provided by the Office of Campus Life. The following is a listing of the events connected to CIVITAS Week and the groups that sponsored each event.

All Week * Be Kind campaign - Students learned how to become part of a "chain of kindnesses" and got their own "Be Kind" buttons. * CIVITAS essay contest for students and staff - The essay question asked contestants to imagine civility in the year 2057 and to create a future civil act. Winning students received book scholarships donated by the campus bookstore while staff winners received EagleBuck$ at the CIVITAS celebration. *"Turning Anger Into Change" donation drive for the D.C. Rape Crisis Center - During the week, students could turn in various items including new underwear, white towels, T-shirts and sweatpants to the Wellness Center and the Women's Initiative office.

Monday * CIVITAS breakfast jump start - Students received a free breakfast snack bag on the steps of the Mary Graydon Center. * Cross-Cultural Communication Civili-Tea - Students came together to learn how culture affects behavior and how they interpret the behavior of others. The event included a discussion, interactive activities and tea and cookies.

Tuesday * Table talk series, "Nonviolence and Political Change: Can One Civil Act Change the World?" - The lunch discussion was held at the Kay Spiritual Life Center lounge. * Generations in the workplace for AU staff and faculty - Participants watched a video on different generations' perceptions of the workplace. A discussion followed. * Note-taking skills workshop - Participants learned how to improve their note-taking skills. * CIVITAS: Civil Ideas Into Action - The event featured a moderated discussion that explored action-oriented programming activities.

Wednesday * Center for Teaching Excellence noontime conversation for faculty, "Supporting Engagement and Civility On Campus" - The event featured a panel of professors and staff members discussing how to promote an engaged, civil campus. Lunch was provided. * Time management - This discussion gave participants tips on how to improve their time management skills and those of others. * "Phil Jacobs" AU field hockey - This free athletic event asked students to cheer the AU field hockey team on as they went up against Maryland. * "No-Yes" keynote presentation by Katie Koestner - Date rape activist Koestner gave a presentation on the issue. Counselors and representatives from the D.C. Rape Crisis Center and Break the Cycle were available at an information table. * Eagle Nights: CIVITAS social - Free ice cream was provided at this social gathering in the Tavern.

Thursday * Wellness fair - Free screenings and tests were provided for various conditions. Health information and free giveaways were provided. * Engage the Global Community - Student representatives from AU Abroad, the Alternative Break program and the International Student and Scholar Services' International Friendship program provided an information table on the Main Quad highlighting public service, social justice and cross-cultural understanding.

SOURCE: Information sheet from the Office of Campus Life