Saturday, Oct. 19, 2024

Women's soccer loses to JMU

Eagles fail to bring home a win, losing 3-0

The Lady Eagles traveled to Harrisonburg, Va., Friday night to face the James Madison University Dukes but did not bring home a win, losing 3-0.

The game, played with 248 people in attendance at the JMU soccer complex, brought AU's record to 6-3. With just over 27 minutes into the game, JMU scored a goal. This was the first of three that ended the two-game winning streak for the Eagles.

Fifteen minutes into the game, AU's leading scorer, sophomore Kelsey Brasher, fired a shot but was unsuccessful. The team attempted to score two more goals throughout the game, but the number of attempts on goal was a season low for the Eagles.

Athletes Friederike Engel and Olivia Heditsian both had their chances to turn the score around for the Eagles respectively. Unfortunately, AU could not compete with the opposing goalkeeper, Stephanie Poucher, and did not make contact with the net. Brasher was recently named Patriot League Women's Soccer Brine Offensive Player of the Week for the second time this season. According to an AU Athletics press release, she leads the conference and the Eagles in points. This is not the only time the Eagles lost a game without scoring a single goal. The team lost 1-0 when they played Georgetown earlier in the season.

However, AU's record is still strong, as they have won six games thus far. In their next attempt at a win, the Eagles will host George Washington at home on Tuesday.