Monday, Oct. 21, 2024

AU College GOP, Dems plan, release online newsletters

The AU chapters of the College Republicans and College Democrats are releasing new club newsletters this semester. Students will only be able to view the newsletters online on each club's Web site.

The College Republicans have already published two issues of its newsletter, The Right Wing, on its Web site. The club established the newsletter to allow conservative students to give a scholarly explanation of its values, according to Will Haun, the club's president. The Right Wing has covered topics such as upcoming events, conservative speakers, presidential candidates and immigration.

Unlike The Eagle, The Right Wing does not have fixed columnists other than the editor, according to Elliot Chiu, the newsletter's editor in chief.

"Anyone can submit something and, if it is accepted, see their work published in the next issue," he said.

While the main audience of The Right Wing is members of the College Republicans, Haun said he hopes people who aren't already members will visit the club's Web site and download a copy of the newsletter.

The College Democrats' newsletter, The American Blue Print, has been in the planning stages since last year. The group is hoping to release the first issue of the newsletter on Oct. 31, according to club president John Cipriani.

"We'll be doing a very clean-cut, clear, professionally designed publication," he said. "It should look really impressive. We're hoping the entire membership will read this. I think a good amount of people will read it, especially because it will feature a lot of campus issues in addition to the national stuff."

The club was still seeking writers to contribute articles on the environment, women's issues and education as of Friday night, according to the College Democrats' Web site.

Kiyana Allen, a senior in the School of International Service, said she would probably not read either publication.

"It could be interesting, but I'm not affiliated with either organization," she said.

Emma Schultz, a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences, said she would read The American Blue Print.

"I would probably read The American Blue Print because I am a Democrat," she said.

While Nick Tsotakos, a junior in the Kogod School of Business, is a member of the College Democrats, he said he would read The Right Wing.

"It might be interesting to read the Republican one because I don't really know much about them," he said. "It's kind of like reading the other team's playbook"