Monday, Oct. 21, 2024

Campus brief

Communication professor receives achievement award

The D.C. chapter of the International Television Association gave the Distinguished Achievement Award on Saturday to John Douglass, an associate professor and director of the film and media arts division of the School of Communication.

The ceremony took place at the National Press Club during the 2007 Peer Awards ceremony, according to the press release.

The International Television Association's D.C. chapter has given out the Peer Awards since 1997 to acknowledge the work of film, television and video professionals located in the D.C. area, according to the press release.

Douglass has been an AU professor for almost 30 years, first joining AU's faculty in 1978 as a writing and production teacher, according to the press release.

Additionally, Douglass, who served as president and trustee for the National Academy's mid-Atlantic region, is actively involved in the University Film and Video Association and is AU's representative to the International Association of Film and Television (CILECT), according to the press release.

"Writing and storytelling are central to SOC's film and media arts program and professor Douglass has influenced the successful careers of hundreds," SOC Dean Larry Kirkman, said in an e-mail.

-KIM SELMAN