Saturday, Oct. 19, 2024
GOING FOR THE GOAL - Sophomore Dor Yasur attempts to score a goal. Between their last two games, AU had a total of 20 shots on goal.

Despite loss to Hoyas, men's soccer has undefeated PL record

Team beats Navy 1-0, falls to Hoyas 2-1

Despite its 2-1 loss to Georgetown Tuesday, the AU men's soccer team continues to stand strong after recording a 1-0 shutout against Navy on Saturday.

Goalkeeper Chris Sedlak carried the team to its away-game victory over the Navy Midshipmen with his 13th career shutout. In the last 19 minutes of the game alone, Sedlak made three game-saving stops. Sedlak made a season-high total of eight saves. The team is still undefeated in the Patriot League.

A total of 25 combined first-period foul calls elevated the intensity level on the field. Three yellow cards were given out to AU by the end of both periods. Although no goals were scored in the first period, the thrill of the game was not curbed. Sedlak provided excitement as he thwarted a penalty kick attempt, deflecting it wide with his outstretched hands.

American returned to the second half of the game looking strong and ready to attack. The team was rewarded with the only goal of the game during the 70th minute when freshman Daniel Shannon fired the ball into the opponent's net. Classmate Nick Kapus passed the ball to Shannon, who brought it to the middle of the field and proceeded to kick it into the top left corner of the goal.

With an improved record, the Eagles moved on to their game against local rival, Georgetown.

Despite landing on the scoreboard first, the Eagles were unable to defeat the Hoyas when the game progressed into overtime.

Sophomore forward Jake Van Yahres kicked a dropped ball by Georgetown goalkeeper into the lower right corner of the goal.

Georgetown came back from being down in the first half to score just six minutes into the second period. With 39 minutes left in the game, neither team was able to penetrate the defense and get past the goalkeepers.

The game came to an end after four minutes into overtime when a Georgetown player crossed the ball to the top of the 6-yard box and snuck it into the goal.

After this weekend, American's record dropped to 5-7-2 overall. However, the Eagles are still undefeated in the Patriot League and look to defend their undefeated record when they host conference opponents Lehigh on home turf Saturday.