Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

Dress to impress, dress for success

We've all been there - you want to look professional for your day at work, but you don't want to blend into the sea of gray, blue and black suits. We've noticed quite a few of those monotonous gray and black suits wandering around campus, and we're here to help.

Just because professional attire is required at a job or internship doesn't necessarily mean you need to look like everyone else. After all, the ideas you bring to the company are original - why shouldn't your clothes be original as well? We'll outline how to look professional and practical without sacrificing your style.

First, every woman should invest in a simple, adaptable business dress. The guidelines for said dress are as follows: First, if it is more than four inches above your knee, it's too short. Second, if it shows off your shoulders, it's too bare. Third, if you have a visible panty line, it's too tight. Fourth, it's OK to have a v-neck, but it's not OK for it to plunge like the top you wore at club Five.

In addition, wearing a necklace that skims the neckline of your v-neck dress draws too much attention to the wrong place, so try to avoid it.

There are some dresses that fit all of these guidelines. The shirt dress is universally flattering, and its belted waist adds a unique touch without going over the top. The jersey dress is simple, comfortable and easy to accessorize. Lastly, the power dress is a red, form-flattering dress that meets all qualifications. Red is a color of strength and confidence, which is something everyone wants to convey in a competitive environment.

For men, it's a little more difficult to change it up and state your originality through what you wear to work. The most effective way to jazz up the traditional business suit is, obviously, the tie. Ties are an excellent conversation starter when they're interesting. Herm?s makes the best ones, but for a less expensive alternative, try J. Crew or Vineyard Vines, both of which make colorful, original ties with prints such as road signs, fleur-de-lis and even hot air balloons. Our only guideline? Make sure it matches your shirt.

Although it's always good to express your individuality, there are also some things you need to stay away from. Avoid prints that are too bold. By this we mean Hawaiian prints, blinding bright combinations of colors and any kind of animal print.

Try to stay away from nontraditional suits - while "jumpsuit" may have the word "suit" in it, it's still not suitable. Lastly, overaccessorizing is better left undone - it's always a good idea to express your sense of style, but layers upon layers of jewelry will lead to people not taking you seriously and an uncomfortable day at work.

Finally, add your own special touch. If you insist on sticking to the monochromatic suit ensemble, try adding a printed scarf in your hair or wearing it as a belt, a long necklace (Betsy Johnson bangles are always an excellent addition) or even a daring colored shirt underneath that monochromatic suit (black becomes much more interesting with a splash of hot pink or kelly green underneath it).

So here's our question to you: Why stick to the norm when you're trying to be noticed? Here at AU, we know the importance of making a difference in all that we do. Standing out is important and your style is yet another place where you can show off your individuality.

Stay stylish,

Lara and Virginia