Monday, Oct. 21, 2024

International brief

Italian government report: aliens caused mystery fires

The Italian Civil Protection department is claiming aliens are to blame for a series of unexplained appliance fires in northern Sicily, according to an official report leaked to the Italian press last week.

The two-year, $1-million report was ordered by the Italian government and featured the input of dozens of experts, including scientists and electrical engineers, according to telegraph.co.uk, a British online newspaper.

The report concluded the fires were caused by "high-power electromagnetic emissions, which were not manmade," the Telegraph reported.

"We are not saying that little green men from Mars started the fires, but that unnatural forces capable of creating a large amount of electromagnetic energy were responsible," Francesco Mantegna Venerando, Sicily's civil protection chief who coordinated the report, told the Telegraph. "This is just one possibility. We are also looking at another one which involves the testing of top secret weapons by an unknown power which are also capable of producing an enormous amount of energy."

-PATRICIO CHILE