Saturday, Oct. 19, 2024
FIGHT FOR THE BALL - (Top) Freshman Daniel Shannon balances on one foot as he approaches the ball and three opponents. (Bottom) Running down the field, junior Philip Purdy remains steady as he heads toward a goal. In a game against the Lafayette Leopards,

Men's soccer scoreless against Lafayette

The men's soccer team battled into double overtime against the Lafayette Leopards in an aggressive and intense home game Saturday resulting in zeros on both sides of the scoreboard. This 0-0 tie adds to the Eagles' undefeated record in the Patriot League.

Despite several attempts to score throughout regular play, both teams were unable to penetrate the defensive line. The high intensity between opposing players started early into the game.

"We came out pretty pumped - the intensity level was high," said defensive midfielder Cameron Petty. "A lot of the guys on the team carry us with enthusiasm, not willing to give up a loss; unfortunately we did not get a win. Our back four did a really good job at organizing the team; that's what it really came down to. We are getting better at working the ball around."

American freshman Mike Worden started the Eagles' shooting attempts with a strong shot that landed just wide of the goal. Eagle keeper Chris Sedlak kept the Leopards at bay with three saves throughout the game, along with handling a number of threatening crosses that came his way.

Regular game time ended, and AU finished with 22 shots on goal while Lafayette had 17. The 0-0 scoreboard took the two teams into two 10-minute overtime periods.

In the first period, a Leopard offender took a shot just high of the net. AU quickly responded with a shot taken by freshman Jon Freimark that passed just outside the net. Another shot by Eagle B.J. Glenn soared just high of the goal. Sedlak kept the period scoreless with his third save of the game, sending the two teams to an extra period.

It looked positive for Lafayette when three shots were taken early into the second overtime. Fortunately for AU, all shots by the Leopards were a miss.

As the clock counted down 30 seconds left in the game, the Eagles tried to squeeze in a last attempt to get one up on Lafayette. With an earned throw-in from the left sideline, freshman Nick Kapus heaved the ball into the box where Jamie Davin rushed a shot 12 yards from the goal that was knocked away by the Leopards' keeper just as time ran out.

"It was a typical Patriot League 'conference war,' as we like to call it," coach Todd West said. "It is exactly what we expected - trying to get the young guys to realize what every league game is like. They are learning to compete."

AU's record is now 4-5-2 overall as the team travels to Penn to compete on Tuesday.