Monday, Oct. 21, 2024

Metro calendar

Monday, Oct. 8

Panel Discussion: "Disaster! In the Eye of the Storm: Katrina, Catastrophe and the Media Amid the Wreckage" 7 p.m. WHERE: George Washington University, Jack Morton Auditorium, 805 21st St. N.W. METRO: Foggy Bottom-GWU (blue and orange lines) INFO: Reporters and editors from The New Orleans Times-Picayune and NPR discuss what it was like to report from the frontlines of Katrina. Admission is free. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-994-1000.

Tuesday, Oct. 9

Film: "Iran: Seven Faces of a Civilization" 12:30-2: 30 p.m. WHERE: Library of Congress, James Madison Building, 101 Independence Ave. S.E. METRO: Capitol South (blue and orange lines) INFO: The African and Middle Eastern Division of the Library of Congress presents a screening of the documentary. Admission is free. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-707-4518.

Wednesday, Oct. 10

16th Annual Wreath Laying Ceremony 1 p.m. WHERE: National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial, E Street N.W. between Fourth and Fifth streets METRO: Judiciary Square (red line) INFO: The ceremony commemorates the dedication of the memorial in 1991. This year's ceremony honors fallen law enforcement officers from D.C., Maryland and Virginia. Admission is free. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-737-3213.

Thursday, Oct. 11

Lecture: "The Great Influenza: The Story of the 1918 Pandemic" 6-7:30 p.m. WHERE: Marian Koshland Science Museum, 500 Fifth St. N.W. METRO: Archives-Navy Memorial (green and yellow lines) INFO: Author John Barry discusses the 1918 flu pandemic that killed over 50 million people, more than any other disease outbreak in history. Admission is $5 and reservations are recommended. CONTACT: For more information, e-mail ksm@nas.edu.

Friday, Oct. 12

National Symphony Orchestra Prelude 6 p.m. WHERE: Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, 2700 F St. N.W. METRO: Foggy Bottom (blue and orange lines) INFO: The National Symphony Orchestra performs classical works. Admission is free. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-467-4600.

Saturday, Oct. 13

Bike Tour: "People of D.C.: Famous Names, Extraordinary Faces" 1-4 p.m. WHERE: Jefferson Memorial Plaza at the base of the Jefferson Memorial, East Basin Drive METRO: Smithsonian (blue and orange lines) INFO: National Park Service rangers take participants on a tour through the city. Participants must have their own bikes, helmets and water. Admission is free. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-438-4391.

Sunday, Oct. 14

Foggy Bottom/West End Neighborhood Block Party 1-4 p.m. WHERE: Eye Street Plaza, I Street between 23rd and 24th streets METRO: Foggy Bottom-GWU (blue and orange lines) INFO: Catch a live performance by Code Blue, a group of singing doctors from George Washington University Hospital. Free health screenings and booths from local vendors are also featured. Admission is free. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-994-9132.