Monday, Oct. 21, 2024

New board trustees attend AU orientation

Four new trustees went through orientation Sept. 27 as part of the board's two-day fall meeting, according to Board Chairman Gary Abramson.

The trustees - Gina Adams, Mark Duber, Dan Gasby and Alan Meltzer - were initially approved and took office during the board's May 18 meeting. Three of the new trustees are AU alumni, Abramson said.

At the meeting, the board also approved and swore in Marc Tomik, a senior in the School of Public Affairs, as student trustee, according to Abramson.

Tomik was one of three students recommended to the board's Trusteeship Committee by the 2006-2007 leaders of the Student Government, Graduate Leadership Council and Student Bar Association.

The United Methodist Church approved Tomik, which allowed the board to proceed with approving him and swearing him in as a trustee, Abramson said.

GINA ADAMS

Gina Adams is the corporate vice president of government affairs for the FedEx Corporation, according to information from the board.

Adams sits on a number of boards, including the American Red Cross' Governance Committee, the National Museum of Women in the Arts, the D.C. Chamber of Commerce and the Washington Performing Arts Society.

Adams, an AU alumna, earned her bachelor's degree at the university. She got her master's degree in international and comparative law from Georgetown University Law Center and her law degree from Howard University Law School.

MARC DUBER

Marc Duber is executive vice president and chief operating officer for The Bernstein Companies, a real-estate development organization, according to board information.

Duber, an AU alumnus, graduated from what was then the Kogod College of Business Administration in 1981. While in school, he wrote for The Eagle and was a member of Alpha Epsilon Pi and Omicron Delta Kappa.

Duber also stays involved at AU as a member of the National Leadership Council. He serves on committees at Cornell University and the Landon School and is vice chairman of the Washington Hospital Center's executive board of directors.

DAN GASBY

Dan Gasby is chief executive officer of B. Smith Enterprises Ltd., a multimillion-dollar company that creates products and programming related to the work of his wife and television show host Barbara Smith, according to board information.

Smith hosts the syndicated show "B. Smith with Style" and is the spokesperson for Colgate Palmolive Oxy Plus products and several other cooking and cleaning products. She also owns three restaurants, which bear her name, in the District and New York, according to Smith's corporate Web site.

Gasby previously served as senior vice president of television marketing for King World Media Sales and as New York sales manager for the TBS television network. He currently serves on the board of governors of the International Radio and Television Society Foundation.

Gasby is a graduate of Colgate University, and he and Smith serve on AU's Parents Executive Council. Their daughter is a senior in the School of Communication.

ALAN MELTZER

Alan Meltzer is the founder and chief executive of the Meltzer Group, a Bethesda, Md.-based grouping of insurance and financial service firms, according to board information.

Meltzer supports a number of organizations related to wrestling athletes and coaches, diabetes research and Jewish organizations.

Meltzer, an AU alumnus who attended the university from 1969 to 1974, was a member of the wrestling team and Alpha Tau Omega during his time as an undergraduate. He also serves as a member of the Kogod Dean's Advisory Council, the President's Circle Council and the Eagles Club.