Monday, Oct. 21, 2024

News briefs

CAMPUS Greek organizations raise money for cancer society

Members of Alpha Chi Omega sorority and Delta Chi fraternity helped raise about $10,000 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society during their annual "Play for Life" event on Saturday. The event was held at the Outdoor Adventures: Paintball Sports facility in Bowie, Md., according to Max Friedman, a member of Delta Chi and a junior in the School of Public Affairs. Along with a paintball tournament, there were a number of other activities occurring during the event.

Both organizations began hosting the event in honor of Kimberly Miller, an AU chapter member of Alpha Chi Omega who died from lymphoma, and Jon Wolf, an AU chapter member of Delta Chi who survived the disease. Alpha Chi Omega and Delta Chi raised $10,000 from the event last year. All of the proceeds from the event went directly to the society, according to an e-mail sent to parents and alumni connected to both organizations. -JIMM PHILLIPS

METRO Father of dead District teen admits son's troubles

The father of DeOnt? Rawlings, the 14-year-old boy shot dead by police two weeks ago in Southeast, revealed this week that his son had been skipping school, coming home late and associating with rough people before his death.

"I failed him - I failed my baby," Charles Rawlings told The Washington Post as tears ran down his face.

A D.C. official told The Post that though police didn't consider DeOnt? dangerous, authorities were frustrated with his refusal to help with investigations. "[DeOnt?] hung around shooters," Capt. C.V. Morris told The Post. "But he was never a suspect in any of our investigations." The stolen mini-bike DeOnt? allegedly possessed when two plainclothes officers approached him the night of his death was found last week, The Eagle previously reported.

The gun DeOnt? fired, according to the two officer's reports, is still missing, The Post reported. -PATRICIO CHILE

NATIONAL St. John's student brings gun, wears Flintstone mask to school

A St. John's University student was arrested Wednesday after walking onto campus with a rifle while wearing a Fred Flintstone mask.

Omesh Hiraman, a 22-year-old freshman and Cornell University dropout, apparently has been suffering from mental illness since graduating from Stuyvesant High School in Manhattan, according to NYdailynews.com. Hiraman's family told NYdailynews.com he had a bad reaction to medicine for spinal surgery. Police sources said he suffered a "physical and mental breakdown" and became obsessed with buying a gun, NYdailynews.com reported.

New York Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelley applauded the university's text-messaging system, which allowed students and staff to be notified of the incident.

"No one was injured," Kelley said. "And the emergency response both by the police and the university was flawless." -P.C.

INTERNATIONAL Austrian court: No appeal for chimp

An Austrian court refused to hear an appeal in the case of Matthew Hiasl Pan, a chimpanzee denied legal guardianship in its deportation case Thursday.

The court denied the appeal on the grounds that the chimpanzee does not have a legal guardian, according to the Association Against Animal Factories' Web site, the Austrian animal rights organization supporting the chimp.

Incidentally, Pan's supporters wanted to appeal a court decision last April that first denied it legal guardianship, according to the AAAF's Web site. The judge, assuming Pan was a human, ruled that it was neither mentally handicapped nor in great danger, the organization said. Pan faces deportation because the animal sanctuary it lived in was closing, according to a BBC online report. Pan was captured from West Africa 25 years ago, the report said. -P.C.