Monday, Oct. 21, 2024

SG brief

SG details expenses

SG Comptroller David Teslicko presented account listings and profit and loss reports from May to October during the Undergraduate Senate meeting Sunday. According to the report, the SG earns income from donations made to AUTO, billing, item sales, magazine ad sales, sponsorships and account transfers.

The biggest expense was listed as $83,500 spent on speakers, while the second-largest expense was $47,357.71 for payroll.

The senate voted to compensate Cole Morrison, assistant director of SUB, and Danielle Geong, assistant director of the Women's Initiative, with $750 for their work for the entire year, which must total at least 10 hours per week.

The newly appointed chairs spoke about the focus of their specific committees. Georgette Spanjich, chair of the Committee on Students' Rights, said her committee will work toward developing a students' bill of rights to introduce as a referendum in the spring.

Amanda Hurley, Committee on Student Oversight and Accountability chair, stressed a need for "diplomacy between the executives and the administration as a whole."

Julie Mills, Committee on Academic Affairs chair, said her committee will look at study abroad, the general education program, faculty, Blackboard, turnitin.com, the library and textbook prices. Mills said she hopes to focus on "trying to get new books; a lot of our books are outdated."

SG meetings are held at 2 p.m. every Sunday in Kogod room 118 and are open to the student body.

- EMILY BLANCK