Monday, Oct. 21, 2024

SG brief

Cipriani appointed as senator

The Undergraduate Senate confirmed former Senator John Cipriani as Class of 2009 Senator by a vote of 21-2-3 at its meeting Sunday.

Cipriani was appointed to the previous senate and chose not to run in the most recent election.

"I was stepping out of the race to see if someone else would step in," he said.

Cipriani said he is committed to the student body.

"We need to make sure we're talking to students, not just sitting in this room for two and a half hours every week and fighting amongst ourselves," he said.

The appointment process is used to fill seats in the senate that remain empty after an election. Senate Speaker Caitlin Hodgkins said she contacts those groups with empty seats, and then it is their responsibility to decide how to proceed. There isn't a specific process for filling every seat, Hodgkins said.

The senate also passed A Bill to Protest the Raising of Public Transportation Prices, sponsored by Class of 2009 Senator Chris Ashton, by a vote of 24-1-2. The bill states an opposition to the Metrorail and Metrobus fare increases announced recently by the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority.

Scott Hansen, assistant director of the Student Advocacy Center, was approved by the senate to receive payment in the amount of $750 for the year. Payment requires Hansen to work a minimum of 10 hours per week.

Julie Mills, class of 2010 senator and chair of the Academic Affairs Committee, announced Class of 2009 Senator Justin Broubalow was chosen as vice chair of her committee. Brian Kalish, class of 2008 senator and chair of the Committee on Campus Life and Programming, announced that Class of 2009 Senator Chris Ashton was chosen as vice chair of his committee.

SG meetings are held at 2 p.m. every Sunday in Kogod 118 and are open to the student body.

-EMILY BLANCK