MOVE OUT - Junior forward Krystn Hodge shows off her skills on the field against her Mount St. Mary's opponent. Hodge has used these skills to help the Eagles gain their 9-5-1 record thus far in the season. Her latest goal was scored Oct. 14 against Lafay

Soccer forward Hodge: Going for goals

Since she first officially started to play in leagues, AU forward Krystn Hodge hasn't had a year without soccer. Considering she started playing soccer in the second grade, her dedication to the sport is unquestionable.

Hodge comes from Rye, N.Y., where her family lives and breathes soccer.

"I looked up to my older brother and my dad, who were always playing soccer when I was younger, which made me want to play, too," Hodge said in an e-mail interview. "My dad was definitely a huge influence, coaching recreation leagues and my club team for a couple of years."

Before attending AU, soccer gave Hodge the chance to travel the world and meet many new people. While living in Ireland, she even had the opportunity to play for a boys' team.

With a life full of soccer, it was no wonder Hodge chose to continue her soccer career playing for the Eagles. Hodge said she "really wanted to live in a city, but not New York." This, along with really wanting to play soccer at school, helped the forward make her decision to come to AU.

Playing soccer while in college was also another deciding factor for Hodge. It didn't take long to realize that her role on the team would be an important one, working with the 21 other women on the team to bring home wins for AU.

"The team and coaches are great," said Hodge about her relationship with the women on the team. "Everyone's really nice and absolutely crazy, in an awesome way. I try my best to contribute to the team."

Contributing to the team is something that Hodge has mastered game after game. As a junior forward, she has experience on the field that has shown in her high scoring record. According to Hodge, her most accomplished moment throughout her time thus far at AU came this season against George Mason University. Coming straight from playing three games that week and facing GMU as the underdogs, the Eagles went into halftime tied and came back to win 3-1. Hodge was a key component to the win; she made two goals and an assist.

Her contributions on the field have not gone unnoticed. Hodge was recognized earlier in the season when she was chosen for AU's student-athlete of the week awarded by GEICO.

Success comes to Hodge through hard work and love for the game.

"I love soccer because it's fun and challenging," Hodge said in the e-mail. "It's a part of your day where you can let it all out and just have a great time."

While Hodge has a good time playing the sport, she and the team also take it very seriously and have set goals for this season. Hodge said that a team goal for the rest of the season is to "make the Patriot League Tournament and after that, win it." She also noted that as a personal accomplishment she "would like to score a couple more goals."

As a student athlete on a Division I team and having so many goals to accomplish, Hodge has had to stay focused and busy, giving her hardly any downtime to be bored.

"I always have something to do," Hodge said. "Sometimes, when our schedule is really busy, it's a little bit harder, but it's just like being any other student who has a million things to do."

Between practices and traveling on the road for games, the soccer schedule can become rigorous, leaving little time for much else, Hodge explained.

Off the field, Hodge maintains her status as student athlete. She is planning to major in psychology in the College of Arts and Sciences. Although she doesn't know exactly where this will take her, Hodge said she hopes to find a job she loves that will allow her to support herself and a family while maintaining happiness.

As the women's soccer team continues its season, Hodge says the biggest challenge for the team as a whole is staying uninjured.

"We just need to keep people healthy and psyched to play," Hodge said.

The Eagles will continue their season with two Patriot League games this weekend - Friday against Holy Cross and at home Sunday for the Phil Reeves game against Army.