BLOCK - Goalie Chris Sedlak shows off his soccer maneuvers as he palms the ball. Sedlak has registered more than 180 saves thus far in his AU career. As a senior and one of five goalies on the men's soccer team, Sedlak acts as a leader for the Eagles. You

Soccer goalie Sedlak: life on and off the field

Goalkeeper talks about life goals and blocking goals

From age 4, goalkeeper Chris Sedlak has taken part in what he calls the "rich tradition" of soccer and hopes to continue the tradition after graduation in May. For seniors, graduating is a bittersweet moment, but Sedlak knows he is leaving his team in good hands.

"It's tough because I don't want to leave," he said. "It's emotional, but I know we can get the program back to what it was a few years ago."

Sedlak described several goals for himself. Winning the national championship is one of his main priorities. Sedlak also hopes to join Major League Soccer after he leaves AU.

While soccer takes up most of Sedlak's time, he makes sure he finds time for his hobbies. The senior can usually be found cooking, shooting pool or just sitting on the quad with his teammates. He recalls some of his fondest memories at AU as spending time with his fellow soccer players in TDR.

For the past four years playing as an Eagle, Sedlak has faced the challenge of balancing his schoolwork with a demanding practice schedule, but he says he feels he manages it well.

"I don't know how I do it," he said. "I've never not had to balance."

Members of the team take morning and night classes in order to practice twice a day. While the balancing act would seem difficult for most people, Sedlak finds the responsibility something quite normal.

While balancing schoolwork may be a staple within his life, Sedlak's relationship with his coaches is something that has evolved over the years, and he says his position on the team has transformed as well.

"This year, I have a leadership role," he said. "I have a good relationship with the coaches. And I love the guys on the team. I wouldn't change them with anything in the world."

The goalie has had many treasured moments with members of his team over the years, his most memorable being when AU won the Patriot League Championship at home his freshman year. However, Sedlak has not only had success as an Eagle, but also during his younger days as well. At age 14, the goalie traveled to Amsterdam with his club team to participate in the Nike World Championships.

Sedlak's time on the field was fruitful. However, the senior says he wishes the Eagles had won three Patriot League championships in his time as goalie.

Sedlak also says he hopes AU students get more school spirit. One of the biggest challenges facing the athletic department is that students do not go to games to support their fellow classmates but support rival schools instead, he said.

"People walk around campus with Georgetown sweatshirts on," he said. "Come out and support, and I'll buy you an AU sweatshirt."

Come out and support Sedlak and the rest of the men's soccer team at their next home game Oct. 20 against Lehigh.