Monday, Oct. 21, 2024

Store features Halloween decor

Bookstore hopes to become location for student gathering

AU's Campus Store has set up two Halloween displays as part of a new effort to make the store have a more community-oriented setting.

Both displays feature a coffin and various ghoulish creatures. The front display includes three skeletons, a large gray rodent, a cross-shaped headstone, chains and an altar. A dark red curtain borders the display area. One of the displays is located inside of the store, while the other is located in the glass window in front of the store.

David Ehrhart, the owner of Chevy Chase Florist, assembled both displays free of charge for the store, according to Stacy Elofir, manager for the bookstore.

Elofir said she decided to debut the idea around Halloween because it is one of the more popular holidays on campus.

"We know that Halloween is big here at American University, and we wanted to do something fun," she said.

The store management envisioned the development of a community-centered bookstore in which students can gather for small meetings, book clubs and study sessions. The Halloween display is one of the bookstore's first efforts at accomplishing that goal, Elofir said.

"If we see that our display has a good reception, we will certainly continue," she said.

Elofir is already planning out the store's Christmas/Hanukkah display for later in the semester.

Carrie Johnson, a junior in the School of Public Affairs, said she thought the display's purpose had more to do with decoration.

"I think it gives me something to look at while I wait for the elevator," she said.

Julie Gielowski, a freshman in the School of Public Affairs, said she didn't think the display would change how many people went in to the store.

"I don't really think it affects the store, although it is visually pleasing," she said.

The bookstore's management will continue implementing new ideas to change the atmosphere of the campus bookstore and make it more student-friendly and community-oriented. To further its use of thematic displays in the near future, the bookstore will be encouraging students to submit proposals for the next holiday display, Elofir said.

"We are even considering allowing AU clubs to utilize our window space for their causes as long as they speak to us and get their ideas approved," she said.