Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

Tech briefs

Apple to Open iPhone to Third-Party Developers

Apple CEO Steve Jobs announced Apple will enable third-party software to work directly on the iPhone. Apple previously upset many of its consumers by issuing a software update on Sept. 27 disabling all third-party applications on iPhones. Apple spokeswoman Natalie Kerris did not divulge why the change occurred.

"I hope it is exactly as they say, full third-party development," computer programmer Erica Sadun told The New York Times. Sadun, among others, predicts this change in policy will help to sell more iPhones.

Third-party programs for the iPhone are extremely easy to find on the Internet via search engines. They are popular but have a risk of damaging an iPhone upon installation. Such damage is not covered by the iPhone warranty.

Nintendo Drops 2 Bombshells about Anticipated Game

The highly anticipated "Super Smash Bros. Brawl" delayed its release date from Dec. 3 to Feb. 10, according to the game's Web site. The announcement was met with great disappointment among fans.

Developers assured gamers on the "Brawl" Web site that the delay ensures better gaming for players and a better system of playing over the Internet.

Another "Brawl" news release, however, was met with more enthusiasm. Sonic the Hedgehog will be available as a playable character. Players dreaming of Mario versus Sonic battles can finally have their wish fulfilled this February.

MySpace and Skype Team Up

The social networking Web site MySpace and the Internet telephone service Skype will form in November a partnership, connecting two large Internet services.

"We are interconnecting the world's largest voice network and the world's largest video and social network," Michael van Swaajj, interim chief of Skype, told The New York Times. "It feels like an obvious fit."

MySpace users will be able to use Skype features directly from their MySpace page, allowing them to chat with each other online and even make free telephone calls via computer.

The companies hope the merger will cause each to gain users. The companies will also share revenue obtained for services on Skype.

Facebook Beefs Up Security

Facebook announced Oct. 16 that it would take stronger measures to post warnings about the dangers of using Facebook to children and act faster to complaints about sexual messages or suspicious activity.

Facebook also plans to hire an independent company in the future to quickly read and respond to such complaints.

New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo accused Facebook of falsely advertising itself as a social networking Web site where children are safe from online sexual predators.

"Any site where you are attracting young people, you must assume you are simultaneously attracting those who would prey on young people," Cuomo told The New York Times.

Cuomo filed a complaint against Facebook after investigators posed as teenagers on Facebook over the summer and received sexual messages very quickly. Their complaints were answered weeks later.

- MICHAEL CARUSI