Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024
SMART ART - The National Museum of Women in the Arts' new exhibit shows how women use art to express important themes in feminism.

'WACK!' maps feminist movement

Exhibit shows 118 artists

Feminism is seen in an exciting and challenging, new light with "WACK! Art and the Feminist Revolution," the newest and largest exhibit at the National Museum of Women in the Arts since the museum opened its doors 20 years ago.

This exhibition presents nearly 300 pieces of work by 118 artists from 1965 to 1980. As a series of tumultuous events in the United States and abroad were occurring, these women bared it all through various forms of art, ranging from film and photography to sculpture and crochet.

This is the first East Coast showing of "WACK!," curated by Dr. Connie Butler of the Museum of Contemporary Art in Los Angeles. Launched Sept. 21, the exhibit will be open through Dec. 16.

Throughout the duration of "WACK!," NMWA staff members will hold gallery talks and related programs, offering further insight into the exhibition. Programs like last week's first annual Festival of Women's Film and Media Arts can be expected in the future.

Four School of Communication faculty members were featured in this successful event, including the works of professors Kylos Brannon, Giovanna Chesler, Leena Jayaswal and Brigid Maher.

The exhibit begins with two time lines displaying major events relevant to the feminist movement. Assuming the works will be presented in a chronological manner, one is surprised by the actual thematic divisions between the pieces.

The themes throughout the exhibition are vast, capturing celebratory moments in women's history, while also depicting instances of utmost vulnerability in everyday life. Pregnancy, physical threat, aging and a variety of sexual themes are brought to attention as one walks through this exhibit. Warnings are placed in designated areas for visitors who may find certain subject matter disconcerting.

"For many of the artists in 'WACK!,' feminism often co-existed with political engagement in other fronts, such as race, class and sexual orientation, which at times superseded feminism as the dominant discourse within which they preferred to situate their work," wrote Butler in the exhibit's press release.

Two floors of the NMWA are dedicated to showcasing the artists' work, featuring prominent women, such as Alice Neel, Nancy Grossman and Harmony Hammond. Works, such as Eleanor Antin's "Carving: A Traditional Sculpture," incorporate the theme of body image into their message. Displayed are 144 photographs of the artist's body over the course of 36 days, while she places herself on a strict diet regimen to become closer to the ideal proportions represented in ancient Greek sculpture.

With works by more than 800 artists in its permanent collection, the National Museum of Women in the Arts is the only museum with the goal of commemorating the accomplishments of women in the performing, literary and visual arts.

"The Museum introduces visitors to women artists that they never learned about in art history but should have," said Michelle Cragle, marketing and media relations manager for the NMWA.

This fall is full of other interesting and never-before-seen works at the museum. In "Frida Kahlo: Public Image, Private Life. A Selection of Photographs and Letters," the Mexican painter is honored for the 100th anniversary of her birth through photographs and formerly unpublished letters.

Admission to the "WACK!" exhibition is $10 for adults, while students with valid IDs and seniors citizens can visit for $8. NMWA members and those under 18 are admitted for free. Included upon entry are 23 free "Guide by Cell" tours and recorded lectures by artists from the exhibition. These can be downloaded via cell phone, or listened to using a computer.

For more information on the museum, go to www.nmwa.org.