Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

Week in Fun Calendar

THURS 11

Douglas Wolk 7 p.m., free WHERE: Olsson's Books and Records, 1307 19th St. N.W. INFO: Wolk discusses his book "Reading Comics: How Graphic Novels Work and What They Mean." The book delves into the history of comics and examines some of Wolk's favorite graphic artists

FRI 12

Solar Decathlon 10 a.m.-3 p.m., free WHERE: National Mall, between the U.S. Capitol and the Lincoln Memorial INFO: The U.S. Department of Energy sponsors this yearly competition that pits 20 teams of college students against each other to build eco-friendly homes. The houses are available to tour all week, with the winners being announced on Oct. 19 at 2 p.m.

SAT 13

D.C. United vs. Chicago Fire 7:30 p.m., $18-$45 WHERE: RFK Stadium, 2400 East Capitol St. S.E. INFO: Get in on all the soccer hooligan fun, as Washington's D.C. United takes on the Chicago Fire. Will D.C. get burned on their quest for the MLS Cup?

SUN 14

"Wisconsin Death Trip: How a Town in Wisconsin Went Mad" 4:30 p.m., free WHERE: National Gallery of Art, East Building Auditorium, 4th Street and Constitution Avenue N.W. INFO: Based on Michael Lesy's 1973 book, this film examines the strange goings-on in the town of Black River Falls, Wisc., in the 19th century. Get ready for murder, insanity and a little bit of witchcraft.

MON 15

An Evening Journey to Lake Wobegon with Garrison Keillor 7 p.m., $30 WHERE: George Washington University Lisner Auditorium, 730 21st St. N.W. INFO: The host of public radio's "Prairie Home Companion" settles in for a night of storytelling. Keillor will discuss the people and places in Minnesota that have inspired his professional work.

TUES 16

The Octopus Project 8:30 p.m., $10 WHERE: The Rock and Roll Hotel, 1353 H St. N.E. INFO: Hook-laden trio The Octopus Project tour for their third and most rambunctious release, "The House of Apples and Eyeballs." Proving that two Lamberts are better than one, the female lead meshes well with her indietronica sidekicks.