Monday, Oct. 21, 2024

Campus brief

Saffron Revolution comes to AU campus

People involved in the Saffron Revolution attempted to educate AU students from Monday to Wednesday through activities on the main quad.

Saffron Revolution's goal was to teach students about the 100,000 nonviolent protesters in Myanmar. Before the recent government crackdown became violent, the protesters demanded freedom and human rights in the country, according to an e-mail from Leslie Miller, president of Student Campaign for Burma.

Members of the Student Campaign for Burma placed red flags in the middle of the quad to represent the monks protesting and placed white flags on the outside to signify the support from ordinary citizens, said Miller a second-year graduate student in the School of International Service.

The Saffron Revolution got its name from the monks, the initial leaders of the protests, who wear saffron-colored robes, Miller said in an e-mail.

Since the nonviolent protesting began, Myanmar authorities have arrested 6,000 people and killed 200 more across that country.

"I think it is extremely [important] that we had this event at AU because after the military regime crackdown on the protesters, the news coverage of the protesters stopped," Miller said. "We thought AU needed to be informed, [made] aware [and] reminded, of not just the situation of the protesters, but also the awful conditions in Burma in general."

At the Saffron Revolution's events on the quad, members of the Student Campaign for Burma were available to answer students' questions and discuss ways to become involved, according to Today@AU.

- KIM SELMAN