Monday, Oct. 21, 2024

Campus calendar

Thursday, Nov. 1

Close the School of Americas Interest Meeting 9-10:15 p.m. WHERE: Basement, Kay Spiritual Life Center INFO: This is a mandatory meeting for all people who are interested in or undecided about going on the trip to protest the School of the Americas Nov. 16 to 18. CONTACT: For more information, e-mail ilianaorama@gmail.com

Open Mic Night at the Dav 9-11 p.m. WHERE: Davenport Lounge, School of International Service building INFO: All are welcome to come sing, play, recite or perform to celebrate Halloween and the upcoming Daylight Savings Time change. The Peace and Empowerment Project is sponsoring this event. CONTACT: For more information, e-mail pep@american.edu.

Friday, Nov. 2

Africa Council Brown Bag Lunch 12:30 p.m. WHERE: Bentley Lounge, Gray Hall INFO: Daniel Jordan Smith, a professor at Brown University, will discuss the topic "The Nigerian Factor: Corruption and Its Discontents." Smith has worked in Nigeria as a public health adviser and as an anthropologist. The AU Africa Council is sponsoring this event. CONTACT: For more information, e-mail Susan Shepler at shepler@american.edu.

Saturday, Nov. 3

Alternative Break Speakers Bureau Training 11 a.m.-2 p.m. WHERE: Hughes Formal Lounge INFO: The Alternative Break Club will train speakers for their new Alternative Break Speakers Bureau. Former alternative break participants are also welcome to attend the training session. Lunch will be served at this event. CONTACT: For more information or to R.S.V.P., e-mail sumka@american.edu or ravennaelizabeth@gmail.com.

Monday, Nov. 5

Staged Reading of Czech Romantic Poem 7:30 p.m. WHERE: Battelle-Tompkins Atrium INFO: This event is a bilingual staged reading of "May," a poem by Karel Hynek Macha, which has been translated from Czech by Marcela Sulak. The poem is a tale of seduction, revenge and patricide. The Department of Literature is sponsoring this event. CONTACT: For more information, e-mail Marcela Sulak at sulak@american.edu

Tuesday, Nov. 6

To Be or Not to Be a Lawyer 6-8 p.m. WHERE: Ceremonial Court Room, Washington College of Law INFO: This is a discussion on the benefits and opportunities available to people with a legal education. Attendees will be able to meet alumni who are experts in their fields, hear from a current law student and gain valuable advice from an admissions counselor. The School of Public Affairs Alumni Career Committees are sponsoring this event. CONTACT: For more information, contact Alexandra Salama at asalama@american.edu or 202-885-2660. You can also visit spa.american.edu/getpdf.php?database=events&ID=698.

Wednesday, Nov. 7

"Madeinusa" 6 p.m. WHERE: Wechsler Theater INFO: This screening of the Peruvian film "Madeinusa" is part of the Film Movements series. Film festival curators selected films for the Film Movements series to expose the work of important emerging international filmmakers. This event is free and open to the public. Friends of the AU Library, the Center for Social Media and the Department of Literature are sponsoring this event. CONTACT: For more information, e-mail Chris Lewis at clewis@american.edu.

"Homefront: Stories of America at War" 7 p.m. WHERE: Wechsler Theater INFO: This is the premiere screening of this documentary. Following the screening, School of Communication professor Rick Rockwell will lead a discussion. CONTACT: For more information, visit soc.american.edu.