Monday, Oct. 21, 2024

Campus calendar

Thursday, Nov. 29

SG Open Forum: Smoking@AU 6-8 p.m. WHERE: McDowell Formal Lounge INFO: The Student Government will discuss the on-campus smoking policy. Free Chipotle burritos will be served. CONTACT: For more information, e-mail secretary@ausg.org or call 202-885-6428.

Peace Corps Office Hours 10 a.m.-4 p.m. WHERE: Career Center INFO: A Peace Corps recruiter will be available to discuss the program with interested students. The Peace Corps works in more than 70 countries in areas such as education, health, agriculture, environment, business, technology or community development programs. CONTACT: For more information, e-mail laraf@american.edu to select a time slot.

China: A Lifelong Experience 3-5 p.m. WHERE: Butler Conference Room INFO: James R. Lilley, former U.S. ambassador to the People's Republic of China, will be discussing his experiences abroad. Lilley spent more than 25 years in the region as an officer in the CIA and served the region as an ambassador to China and South Korea. The Chinese Language Club is sponsoring this event. CONTACT: For more information, e-mail Amy Bush at ab5942a@american.edu.

Peace Corps Social 4:30-6 p.m. WHERE: Battelle-Tompkins Atrium INFO: Returned Peace Corps volunteers are invited to share their experiences and meet future volunteers. Elizabeth Doerr, AU's campus recruiter, will be present at the event. Returned volunteers are encouraged to bring their favorite foods from their countries of service. The Returned Peace Corps Volunteers at AU is sponsoring this event. CONTACT: For more information and to R.S.V.P., call Anne Kaiser at 202-885-1144.

Mormon Myth and Fact Night 8:45 p.m. WHERE: Kay Spiritual Life Center Lounge INFO: Come find out if all the rumors about Mormons are true. "American Mormon," a short film examining people's perceptions of Mormon beliefs, will be screened at the event. A panel of Mormon students and leaders will then discuss their beliefs and answer your questions. The Office of the University Chaplain and the Latter Day Saints Chaplaincy are sponsoring thus event. CONTACT: For more information, e-mail Jen Smyers at jen.smyers@american.edu.

Water as a Human Right 3:30 p.m. WHERE: Kay Spiritual Life Center Lounge INFO: Maj Fiil, director of the Water for All Campaign at Food and Water Watch, will speak on issues concerning water infrastructure around the world. The Office of the University Chaplain, the Peace and Empowerment Project, the ONE Campaign to End Poverty and the Community Action and Social Justice Coalition are sponsoring this event. CONTACT: For more information, e-mail Rachael Johnson at rj1095a@american.edu.

Friday, Nov. 30

Basketball Reception 6 p.m. WHERE: Palmer-Kettler Lounge INFO: Alumni and guests are invited to join College of Arts and Sciences dean Kay Mussell to cheer on the AU Eagles while they face off against the Jacksonville Dolphins. Enjoy great food, great company and sideline seats. Register online to get your tickets. The CAS dean's office is sponsoring this event. CONTACT: For more information, call Torshana Towles at 202-885-2435. To R.S.V.P., visit alumni.american.edu/content.cfm?id=61.

Dance Marathon 8 p.m.-2 a.m. WHERE: The Tavern INFO: This event features food, games, door prizes, speakers and dancing. Registration is $15 at caringforkids.kintera.org/americanDM. The money raised goes to the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation to help children who have AIDS. Women's Initiative and Alpha Epsilon Phi are sponsoring this event. CONTACT: For more information, e-mail au.dancemarathon@gmail.com or wi@ausg.org, or visit caringforkids.kintera.org/americanDM.

Saturday, Dec. 1

AU Basketball RED OUT 2-9 p.m. WHERE: Bender Arena INFO: Commemorate World AIDS Day and support AU basketball by wearing red. At 2 p.m., the men's team takes on UMBC and at 7 p.m. the women's team will challenge Western Michigan University. CONTACT: For more information, e-mail clawed@american.edu.

Treble in Paradise End of Semester Show 7:30 p.m. WHERE: Kay Spiritual Life Center INFO: A cappella group Treble in Paradise will perform at their last show of the semester. CONTACT: For more information, e-mail trebleinparadise@gmail.com

Sunday, Dec. 2

Professional Fashion Show: Dress for Success 7-9 p.m. WHERE: Katzen Arts Center INFO: AU organizations are organizing a fashion show to help the Dress for Success charity. The show will feature day and night professional business wear from Reiss of Georgetown and other stores. There will also be a silent auction, featuring items offered by various AU clubs. Tickets are $5 for runway seats and $3 for balcony seats. Hors d'oeuvres will be served. EagleBuck$ will be accepted at the event. The Kogod School of Business, School of Communication, the American Marketing Association, Alpha Kappa Psi, the Hispanic Bar Association and the Public Relations Student Society of America sponsor the event. CONTACT: For more information and to R.S.V.P., e-mail Myca Ferrer at vpmarketing@alphakappapsi.org

Holiday Gift Sale Noon-3 p.m. WHERE: The Tavern INFO: Representatives from many organizations will be selling all kinds of fair trade and alternative gifts. This event will also feature music, games, prizes and an exhibition of photos taken by AU students on a trip to a fair trade coffee co-op in Guatemala. CONTACT: For more information, e-mail au.ftsa@gmail.com.

Sunday Dinner with John Richardson 8-9:30 p.m. WHERE: Anderson Hall First Floor Lounge INFO: South side faculty-in-residence John Richardson will serve standing rib roast and Yorkshire pudding. CONTACT: For more information, e-mail jrich@american.edu.

Catholic Choir Christmas Concert 9-10 p.m. WHERE: Kay Spiritual Life Center INFO: The Catholic Choir is sponsoring an evening of traditional Christmas music. The concert will be an hour followed by Mass for the first Sunday of Advent. CONTACT: For more information, e-mail seth.cutter@american.edu.

Tuesday, Dec. 4

American's Got Talent Auditions 5-8 p.m. WHERE: Katzen Arts Center INFO: AU Players is hosting a talent show to help raise money for theatre programs in New Orleans schools affected by Hurricane Katrina. All profits will be donated to the cause. CONTACT: For more information, e-mail AUKatrinaProject@gmail.com.

JSA Hanukkah Party 7:30-9:30 p.m. WHERE: McDowell Formal Lounge INFO: The Jewish Student Association and AU Hillel will be holding their annual Hanukkah party in McDowell Formal Lounge. There will be latkes, donuts, dreidels, games and an a cappella group at the event. CONTACT: For more information, e-mail jsa@american.edu.

Wednesday, Dec. 5

Drag Show 8-10 p.m. WHERE: The Tavern INFO: AU's Queers and Allies and Eagle Nights will be sponsoring the annual Drag Show, featuring student acts and performances from the DC Kings. INFO: For more information, e-mail queersandallies@american.edu.