Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024
A contestant races toward the finish line and another contestant dresses up as the Washington Monument during the annual High Heel Drag Race. The race, in its 22nd year, is held in Dupont Circle on 17th Street between P and S streets. The race raises mone

Drag Race

Annual High Heel Drag Race attracts hundreds

The neighborhood surrounding Dupont Circle's 17th Street bustled with excitement Tuesday night as the block between P and S streets became the staging ground for the annual High Heel Drag Race.

The race, in its 22nd year, occurs on the Tuesday before Halloween and consists of glamorously dressed drag queens taking to the street for a foot race. Though the race is the centerpiece of the night's festivities, it is preceded by a parade of around 50 drag queens showing off their outfits for the event. It is followed by picture-taking and a block party in which many spectators stay to enjoy the nearby restaurants and bars.

The event allows drag queens from all areas of the country to come out and show their pride in their identities as many participants wore sashes signifying their home state. The participants dress in short skirts, lingerie and many in themed outfits ranging from the Spice Girls to a costume shaped as the Washington Monument.

Ron Swann, more popularly known as Ronisha Boblika Tina Marie St. James-Jenkins-Johnson, was crowned Missed America and Missed Georgia 2007, two gay pageant contests. She attended the High Heel Drag Race to support her friend who helped organize the event to benefit the DC Strokes, a local gay rowing team. St. James-Jenkins-Johnson was decked out in a glamorous blue dress with four-inch heels and sporting both of her pageant sashes.

"This is a great place for the community to get together, gay or straight, and parade your pride," St. James-Jenkins-Johnson said. "It's not only the gay community. Lots of people come out to support us. The mayor was here, and a lot of other elected officials were showing their support."

Crowds started gathering around 6 p.m. to claim their spots on the sidewalks for a good view of the parade and race, which started promptly at 9 p.m. A pistol shot announced the beginning of the race as the drag queens sprinted the two blocks to the finish line.

Many participants simply strutted their way toward the finish line after tripping over their heels or being distracted by spectators.

After the conclusion of the race, the drag queens made their way through the streets, taking pictures and giving autographs.

"It brings people out and brings them together for community building," said AU alumna Michelle Green after getting her picture taken beside a drag queen dressed in a costume themed like the Life board game.

The event is always entertaining, said Nick Hasler, a D.C. resident.

"I've been here a few times before, and there are always memorable costumes," he said. "The guys - or girls - really go all out."

Several AU students went to the event as well.

"It's just a really fun place to be," said Lina Hasiba, a freshman in the School of International Service. "We started talking to random people and had a really great time"