Field hockey falls in double OT

Eagles fail to reach NCAA Tournament

Trying to reach the NCAA Tournament for the fifth straight year, the field hockey team lost 3-2 in a double overtime play-in game to Ohio University.

Winner of the Mid-American Conference, the No. 16 Ohio Bobcats opened the scoring in the third minute with a goal by sophomore Katelyn Shelley after securing a loose ball in front of the net. For the first time in five games and the ninth time all season, the Eagles had allowed the opposing team to score first.

However, the No. 17 Eagles tied the game in the 16th minute. Senior Maggie Hall scored a goal with an assist from freshman Christine Fingerhuth. The goal was scored off one of five penalty corners the Eagles gained throughout the game.

Ohio senior Torrie Albini put the Bobcats ahead before the first half ended with a goal in the 22nd minute. Rachelle Coatzee got the assist.

The Eagles went into the half with force, constantly applying offensive pressure to their opponent. AU recorded the only goal of the second half when Fingerhuth passed the ball to sophomore Savannah Graybill, who hit the ball into the net to tie the game.

Despite being behind in the beginning, the Eagles seemed to dominate the second half of the game and the sudden-death overtime.

AU out-shot the Bobcats 11-5. However, several Eagle attempts on goal would prove fruitless. Ohio goalie Jessie Martin recorded four saves, including several consecutive key saves in overtime - first on a one-on-one breakaway by Fingerhuth, then again, on a shot by senior Denise Infante following an Eagle penalty corner. Eagle goalie Alyssa Poorman held strong as well, making two second-half saves.

The tide turned against AU in the second overtime. Three fouls were called on the Eagles in succession with just under 12 minutes remaining in the extra period.

Ohio attempted to score on the Eagles twice. It wasn't until Bobcat Albini scored in the 94th minute off a pass from junior Bobcat Nikki Gnozzio. Albini's second goal of the game was her 20th goal of the season, and it sent the Ohio Bobcats to the NCAA Field Hockey Tournament.

Ohio improved to 18-5 on their season and will face the University of Michigan in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. The Eagles finished their season 16-5 after winning their fifth consecutive Patriot League Championship and finishing Patriot League play undefeated.