Monday, Oct. 21, 2024

Groups get Eagle Endowment awards to continue FSE service

The Community Service Center awarded $500 each to two groups of freshmen students to continue their three-day-long community beautification project during Freshmen Service Experience in late August.

Both groups received their checks, from the Eagle Endowment, during an awards ceremony in Mary Graydon Center Thursday.

The groups plan to use the funds to continue their work at the Community Academy Public Charter School and Hart Middle School.

One group - Leah Simoncelli, School of Communication; Amy Chin, SOC; Aleks Ristovic, School of International Service; and Veronica Hewlett, School of Public Affairs - are working to create a catalog system for Community Academy's library as well as providing tutoring support for their students in the after-school programs.

"The school had hundreds and hundreds of books but no library to store them in," Simoncelli said.

Despite her group's work to organize the books during the beautification project, they did not have enough time to complete the project in three days, she said.

The group learned about the Eagle Endowment and decided to apply for the grant, Simoncelli said.

The group wants to go back to reorganize the library and mentor the students, Hewlett said.

"We want to continue to build our relationship with the faculty and students," she said. "This is a commitment to them. I had a great time."

Students at Hart Middle School will have their world map mural in the school entry way repainted and their flower boxes prepared for spring planting. Several teachers will receive much needed supplies, according to the second group of winners - Alex Priest, Kogod School of Business; Kristen Pionati, SPA; Jonelle Williams, SPA; Natasha Pereira, SPA; and Rachel Rosenthal, College of Arts and Sciences.

"The mural is the first thing you see when you go to the school," Rosenthal said. "The second thing is that it's completely washed-out."

Adapting to AU was difficult, and participating in FSE was a great way to make friends, Williams said.

"It was intense but fun," she said.

The students identified a need in the community and worked tirelessly for three days to make a difference, said Robin Adams, assistant director of the Community Service Center.

"For their ongoing work in the community, they have the Eagle Endowment to support them," she said.

Rick Evanchec, a 2002 SPA graduate, started the Eagle Endowment in 2002. The endowment began with $12,500 left over from the 2000 National Youth Service Day community service project initiated by Kim Williams, a 2001 AU graduate.