Saturday, Oct. 19, 2024
TOUGH TACKLE - Senior Joanna Ison gets tackled while running the ball at the only home game for the women's rugby team. The women came out on top of their local rivals George Washington with a score of 48-29.

Home-court advantage gives club rugby teams the win

The women's and men's club rugby teams Saturday raked in their fifth and second respective wins of the season at their first "home" game of the season on the Massachusetts Avenue field.

Although there were only a few fans when the whistle blew for the start of the women's game against George Washington, fans soon trickled in. About 5 minutes in, with nearly 40 people lining the side of the field, senior Sheri Villa scored the first try for AU, putting them up 5-0.

From there, the momentum built and the game quickly became one-sided. Villa added another try, while senior Elizabeth "Scrappy" King scored two of her own. However, junior Stephanie Petrides outscored both, who tallied 15 points by scoring three tries.

After each try, the team was given the opportunity to kick for two points in what is called a conversion. By making four of the eight possible conversions, the team scored a total of 48 points.

On the other side, George Washington posted 29 points. With the 48-29 win, the women concluded the fall half of their season on a high note. They will continue match play in the spring and hope to earn a berth into the post-season.

Similar to the women's team, the men kept their opponent, Washington College, at bay for most of the 80-minute game. They posted a 27-10 win, with Washington's points all coming in the second half after AU already had a lead.

The star of the men's game was freshman Mike Rourke, who scored three tries in the game after not scoring all season. Rourke scored the first and last tries of the game, starting and ending a triumphant victory for the Eagles. Karim El-Sayed and Tomoya Yasui also added tries.

Washington College attempted to close the gap in the second half but never got enough momentum going. They put two tries across the line but failed to make either conversion, allowing AU to continue to score.

The game was won in the scrums and rucks, where teams attempt to push each other backwards to gain possession of a loose ball. AU, although being the physically smaller team, played big and won the majority of them.

The men, who already finished their regular season in the Potomac Rugby Union, will carry their momentum with them as they play in various tournaments in the spring.