Monday, Oct. 21, 2024

Metro brief

Metro conductor used cell phone before deadly accident, authorities say

The operator of a yellow line train that fatally struck two Metro track workers in Alexandria last year lied to federal investigators about using her cell phone prior to the collision, according to reports and transcripts released last week by the National Transportation Safety Board.

Cell phone records obtained by investigators prove she received a 50-second call shortly before the accident, which occurred at 9:30 a.m.

Records also reported the track workers made the wrong hand motion when Harris sounded the horn at them, but she proceeded despite the incorrect signal. Harris had also failed to request permission from the control center to be on the main tracks on her way from Huntington Avenue station to Eisenhower station, The Post reported. The report also said there were insufficient procedures in place to ensure proper communication between the Control Center and track workers.

The National Transportation Safety Board is expected to officially announce a probable cause and make safety recommendations at a future hearing, according to the Post.

-PATRICIO CHILE