Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

Scene picks year's top 25 songs

Best-of lists are a year-end requisite. We love to write them (sort of), and you love to read them (sort of). The Eagle staff begins its best-of-the-year coverage with a list of our top 25 favorite singles from this year.

"As We Proceed" - Travis Morrison Hellfighters, "All Y'all," Barsuk Records This single from former Dismemberment Plan singer and his backing band taps into Morrison's pop-rock roots. Pitchfork might have panned his last album, but "As We Proceed" is hard not to like.

"Bad Kids" - The Black Lips, "Good Bad Not Evil," Vice Records An anthem for the bad kid in everyone, The Black Lips' "Bad Kids" is "flower punk" at its best.

"Lover" - Devendra Banhart, "Smokey Rolls Down Thunder Canyon," XL Recordings Everyone loves a good sexual innuendo, and Banhart gives listeners plenty in his booty-shakin' ode to the apple of his eye. Also, check out "Shabop Shalom" for an equally amorous doo-wop ballad exalting an Israeli Isis.

"I'm Not There" - Sonic Youth, "I'm Not There" sound track, Columbia Records Notoriously noisy rocker Thurston Moore croons the mumbled and ambiguous lyrics to Bob Dylan's previously unreleased "Basement Tapes" single (and title of Todd Haynes' unconventional Dylan biopic) over Sonic Youth's signature feedback and fuzz-laden guitars, updating an old classic.

"Back in Your Head" - Tegan and Sara, "The Con," Vapor/Sire The eccentric sisters' catchy piano tune in this song plays through your head with delightful exuberance. You won't have to worry about forgetting this song because it will, indeed, always be in the "back in your head."

"Underdog"- Spoon, "Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga," Merge Popular mythology says that Spoon named their album after what music tastemakers Pitchfork would say when they heard their album. Wikipedia says it was a reflection of the album's Dadaist sensibility. Regardless, the album's single, "Underdog," is a peppy anthem for the downtrodden.

"We Are Your Friends" - Justice, "We Are Your Friends," Ten Records The members of Justice are contemporaries of fellow French techno band Daft Punk. This song is a triumphant ode to liberty, equality and, most importantly, brotherhood.

"1234" - Feist, "The Reminder," Cherrytree/Interscope 1, 2, 3, 4, tell me that you've heard this song on an iPod commercial and couldn't get it out of your head. You can't get away from Feist's soothing dulcet tones, and you probably won't want to.

"Paper Planes"- M.I.A., "Kala," Interscope Blast this politically charged anthem anytime you need a wake-up call, or just want to pretend to shoot and subsequently rob somebody. Either way, you're bound to boogie.

"Crank That (Soulja Boy)" - Soulja Boy, "Souljaboytellem.com," Interscope You know you love the song, and you know you know the dance. Soulja Boy, who is only 16, laid down the beats for one of the catchiest dance songs of the year.

"Challengers" - The New Pornographers, "Challengers," Matador Sensual melodies between sexy-sultry Neko Case and underwritten newcomer Kathryn Calder harp well over the romantically soft plucks of a mandolin.

"Umbrella" - Rihanna, "Good Girl Gone Bad," Def Jam Recordings When not performing stirring cameo roles in such great films as "Bring It On: All or Nothing," Rihanna performs a mean dance song. Jay-Z is the writing mastermind behind this hit, and let's be honest, anything Jay-Z touches turns to awesome.

"Down Boy" - Yeah Yeah Yeahs, "Is Is," Interscope The Yeah Yeah Yeahs wrote a string of songs while on tour for their first album, "Fever To Tell." Only after they finished recording their second album, "Show Your Bones," did they record these songs and put them out as the "Is Is" EP. The result is a rougher, more immediate post-punk than that which is found on the second Yeah Yeah Yeahs album, and "Down Boy" is certainly the grittiest and catchiest on the new release.

"Peacebone" - Animal Collective, "Strawberry Jam," Domino Records The pounding of noise toys and percussion in this hit single melts into soothing wails and jumps to crazed screams. Indicative of the successful electronic sounds of the entire album, "Peacebone" invites listeners in and persuasively asks them to stay awhile.

"Icky Thump" - The White Stripes, "Icky Thump," Warner Bros. What do you do when you've reached the top of the mainstream music game and still managed to retain your credibility and core audience? Well, if you're Jack White, then you release a song like "Icky Thump," a romping ride that weaves through free jazz, psychedelia and reform politics.

"Four Winds" - Bright Eyes, "Four Winds," Saddle Creek Conor Oberst really loves alternative country and lets the world know it on this slow-burning jam. Powered by dueling violins and tight harmonies, this song references the Bible, lambasts the current administration and foretells the destruction of the world.

"Stronger" - Kanye West, "Graduation," Roc-A-Fella, Island Def Jam This mash-up of Daft Punk's "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" is made better by slight infusions of rap that blend masterfully with the magnetic beats that even non-robots can appreciate.

"Keep the Car Running" - Arcade Fire, "Neon Bible," Merge Though Arcade Fire's latest offering lacks the intensity of 2004's "Funeral," this single brings the Canadian group back to their original, bombastic form.

"White Tooth Man" - Iron & Wine, "The Shepherd's Dog," Sub Pop Records Though "The Shepherd's Dog" offers a very different sound than Iron & Wine's earlier albums, it still maintains many of the same unique underlying rhythms. The hypnotizing lyric line of "White Tooth Man" shows that Iron & Wine is still creating great music. This album should be listened to on vinyl for the full experience.

"+81" - Deerhoof, "Friend Opportunity," Kill Rock Stars "Friend Opportunity" may not have been Deerhoof's best effort, but "+81" was certainly one of their all-time best songs: An amalgamation of the band's noise and pop ideals manifest in one of the year's catchiest riffs.

"Cryptograms" - Deerhunter, "Cryptograms," Kranky These Atlanta-based noise rockers finally gained wider recognition with their second album, and the title track beautifully encapsulates the band's refreshing blend of hardcore-tinged ambient noise and melodic, traditional pop sensibilities.

"The Equestrian" - Les Savy Fav, "Let's Stay Friends," Frenchkiss Records Les Savy Fav return after a six-year silence with this hard-hitting, Fugazi-influenced piece of post-punk glory.

"Devil's A-Go-Go" - Blitzen Trapper, "Wild Mountain Nation," Sub Pop Records This Blitzen Trapper song, which starts off their debut album with Sub Pop Records on a staggering foot, combines crazy garage rock guitars and psychedelic folk freak-outs.

"Apartment Story" - The National, "Boxer," Beggars Banquet Matt Berninger, the lead singer for The National, croons with all the emotion Morrissey could ever muster while his band churns out a steady beat on the catchiest of tracks off The National's sophomore release, "Boxer." The band sure doesn't sound excited about its new-found success, but plenty of indie kids are.

"North American Scum" - LCD Soundsystem, "Sound of Silver," DFA Records The double fuzz bass attack on this LCD Soundsystem track should get everyone up on the floor dancing and screaming the song's self-loathing chorus: "We are North American Scum"