Several athletes gain PL awards

Field hockey, volleyball represented

Eagle athletes brought this past week in several Patriot League awards. In men's soccer, senior goalie Chris Sedlak was named the Brine Patriot League Goalkeeper of the Week, his first weekly award. Sedlak's shutout on Senior Day Sunday helped the Eagles to a scoreless tie against Colgate. The shutout was Sedlak's sixth of a season and 16th of his AU soccer career.

For the second consecutive week and third time this season, the volleyball team swept the Patriot League's weekly awards. Junior Rubena Sukaj took home the Patriot League Baden Player of the Week award, while freshman Cassandra Ricketts was named Patriot League Baden Rookie of the Week. For Sukaj, the award was her fourth of the year, while it was Ricketts' third.

Both volleyball Eagles were instrumental in AU's 3-0 record last week, including a crucial win over Colgate that helped the Eagles claim first place in the Patriot League. Sukaj had 48 kills, 15 digs, 14 aces and seven blocks in wins over the New Jersey Institute of Technology, Bucknell and Colgate. Ricketts tallied 12 kills, 12 digs, eight blocks and five aces during those matches as well.

Finally, field hockey freshman Christine Fingerhuth was selected as the AU Student-Athlete of the Week for the week of Nov. 5. Fingerhuth helped lead the Eagles to their fifth straight Patriot League championship. She scored a goal in AU's win over Colgate in the Patriot League Tournament quarterfinals and also the goal in the Patriot League Championship game against Lafayette. For the season, Fingerhuth recorded 11 goals and five assists for the Eagles.