Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024
IN BLOOM - Miriam Silverman plays Rosalind's best friend, Celia, who finds love when she meets Orlando's brother, Oliver.

Shakespeare fans will 'like it' at Folger

Review: As You Like It; Grade: B-

Cross-dressing, exile and romance: This is one of Shakespeare's classic formulas for a good comedy. If these are the makings of an enjoyable play, then the title, "As You Like It," is telling. It promises the audience a play that will deliver exactly what it should, but great expectations are hard to live up to. The Folger Shakespeare Library's rendition of "As You Like It" confronts this problem with moderate success.

"As You Like It" is a romantic comedy with the classic boy-meets-girl plotline, except for one important twist. Orlando and Rosalind, the two major characters, fall in love with each other the first time they meet. After their situations force them to flee to the Forest of Arden, they meet again, but this time, Rosalind is dressed as a man, named Ganymede, to disguise her identity. The story then takes an interesting turn when Ganymede convinces Orlando to pretend that he is Rosalind and practice wooing.

This play is full of absurdities, as are many other Shakespearean comedies. Without a doubt, the director of the production, Derek Goldman, kept this in mind when making his interpretation. The portrayal does not pretend to be something the play is not. Shakespeare is sometimes dismissed as an element of high-culture. Goldman's production, however, delivers the light-hearted humor unabashedly and reminds us of Shakespearean absurdity with scenes such as a wrestling match delivered in a cartoonish style.

The setting complements the delivery of absurdity as well. Instead of dressing characters in the fashion of Elizabethan England, the characters are more ambiguously dressed, making it difficult to discern what time period in which the play takes place. At times, it seems to be present day, while at other times it seems like the play is taking place in the past. The scenery is also ambiguous, since there is not much of it. Goldman's choice to set the play this way is a good one. By suspending time, it is easier for the audience to relate to the characters and understand the absurd humor of the play.

While the performance is successful in this way, it fails with regard to cross-dressing, a major element of the play. Rosalind, as Ganymede, does not make a convincing man. The choice to have her dressed in tight pants and a hat is a poor one, and the situation is not improved by the fact that Ganymede is constantly squealing like a girl. Ganymede also kisses Orlando, an action that does not happen in the actual text, and Orlando does not act confused by it. This action lets the audience completely forget there is a difference between Ganymede and Rosalind. Therefore, the portrayal of Rosalind, the main character of the play, is a complete failure.

In addition to the failure of Rosalind's character, there are other little flaws, but they are obvious only if one is familiar with the actual text of "As You Like It." The characters are not always true to the text, which can be irritating for Shakespeare aficionados. However, the performance is enjoyable overall, and delivers an element of humor and absurdity that is sometimes lost in Shakespearean performances.

"As You Like It" is playing at the Folger Shakespeare Library now through Nov. 25. More information can be found at www.folger.edu.