Sports briefs

Hayes takes home weekly PL award

Senior Liz Hayes of the women's basketball team received Monday the Patriot League Baden Player of the Week award. Hayes averaged 19.7 points and five assists per game last week. She led all scorers with 18 points in the Eagles' game against Wagner. Also, in their game against Brown University, Hayes scored 12 points, helping AU overcome their opposition by 11 points total. This is the Eagle athlete's third career weekly award from the PL conference.

Eagles to face Blue Devils in NCAA Tournament

The volleyball team will Friday face the Duke Blue Devils in the first round of the NCAA Women's Volleyball Tournament. This will be the team's ninth appearance at the NCAA Tournament under head coach Barry Goldberg.

The Eagles enter the tournament with a 26-7 overall record, slightly better than their competitor's 24-6 overall record. Advancing to the tournament as well is Liberty University with a 27-8 overall record and No. 10 University of California with a 22-7 overall record.

The Eagles could make history if they succeed this coming weekend. They would take home their first-ever NCAA Tournament win.

- ANNA TUMAN