Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

The week in fun: Know your city

Scene calendar

Thursday, Nov. 15

Marie Antoinette: Queen of Fashion 6 p.m., $7 for students WHERE: The Hillwood Estate Museum and Gardens, 4155 Linnean Ave. N.W. INFO: Historian Caroline Weber, author of "Queen of Fashion: What Marie Antoinette Wore to the Revolution," will lecture from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. about just how Marie Antoinette's fashion sense was her greatest strength and weakness. A gallery tour at 6 p.m. will whet your appetite, providing a unique view of a swivel-chair where the monarch's minions carefully crafted her hairstyles. Call 202-686-5807 for reservations.

Film Screening: "Jack Smith and the Destruction of Atlantis" 8 p.m., free WHERE: Ring Auditorium at the Hirshhorn Museum, Independence Avenue at Seventh Street S.W. INFO: The legacy of experimental filmmaker and actor Jack Smith lives on in Mary Jordan's new film, which lets the "king of the underground," as he is infamously known, speak for himself. Through vintage audio recordings, Jordan emphasizes the surreal nature of Smith's mind and body of work.

Friday, Nov. 16

Film Screening: "The Paper Will Be Blue" 4 p.m., free WHERE: National Gallery of Art, Fourth Street and Constitution Avenue N.W. INFO: It's never too early for a revolution; before you go out, come out to the gallery's screening of director Radu Muntean's 2006 emotional, multiple-plotline take on the Romanian Revolution that the Seattle Film Festival hails as "an adept blend of docudrama and wry humor, told from a memorably ground-level point of view." In Romanian with subtitles.

Evil Disco Second Anniversary and Farewell Dance Night 9:30 p.m., $5 WHERE: The Black Cat Backstage, 1811 14th St. N.W. INFO: Evil Disco's DJ Hey Sailor! will celebrate two years and then disappear this Friday night. The grassroots rock 'n' roll dance party promises to be loud and lewd once more for its final show. Bonus: The cover charge is purportedly going to presents for the audience.

Saturday Nov. 17

Film Screening: "Moonstruck" 8 p.m., free with purchase of food WHERE: American City Diner, 5532 Connecticut Ave. N.W. INFO: See Cher in her only Oscar-winning role in "Moonstruck" and eat at a real live noncorporate-owned 1950s-themed diner (we recommend their french fries). Plot synopsis: Cher plays a widowed Brooklyn bookkeeper who decides it's time to get married again - but to someone she doesn't truly love! Comic complications ensue.

Girl Talk/Maxwell's Demon/Murder Mystery Concert 8:45 p.m., $5 WHERE: Hoya Court at Georgetown University, 37th Street at O Street N.W. INFO: Shake your booty to one of the best current mash-up DJs around. Though you might have to mingle with some Hoyas, the rowdy funk of the beats will make you forget that you're in the throes of snobs. When Greg Gillis spins "Bounce That," let the soothing voice of Ciara take over and just go with it.

Sunday, Nov. 18

D.C. Youth Orchestra at the Millennium Stage 6 p.m., free WHERE: The Kennedy Center, 2700 F St. N.W. INFO: Seventy children aged 4 to 19 will perform the classics this Sunday night under the direction of conductor Jesus Manuel Berard. We bet they'll be the cutest orchestra ever.

The Evens Benefit Show at Capital City Public Charter School 7:30 p.m., $5 WHERE: 3047 15th St. at 16th and Irving streets N.W. INFO: District music scene titans and powerhouse Dischord duo The Evens return to familiar stomping ground at the former Wilson Center to benefit Neighbors Consejo and Anne Frank House, organizations that help the homeless in Columbia Heights, Mount Pleasant and Adams Morgan. Attendees are also asked to bring peanut butter, whole grain cereals and canned veggies to be delivered by the We Are Family food bank to low-income community seniors.

Monday, Nov. 19

Silent Film Series: Murnau's "Tartuffe/Herr Tarftuff" 6:30 p.m., $6 for nonmembers, $4 for members WHERE: Goethe-Institut, 812 Seventh St. N.W. INFO: Director F.W. Murnau (1888-1931) offers up a silent film version of Moli?re's French comedy, "Tartuffe." The film within a film features a wrongfully disinherited nephew disguising himself as the owner of a traveling cinema who shows the uncle a film version of the play in an effort to change his mind. Murnau is best known for his silent film "Nosferatu" (1922).

African Studies/TransAfrica Forum Screening/Panel 6 p.m., free WHERE: Blackburn Auditorium, Howard University INFO: Drop by for a screening of "SALUD," a documentary about international medical students in Cuba produced and directed by Academy Award nominee Connie Field and co-produced by Gail Reed. Following, a panel will discuss the complexities of global health care, with such participants as Dr. Peter G. Bourne, chair of Medical Education Cooperation with Cuba.

Tuesday, Nov. 20

Lecture: Ledroit and Shaw Communities of Washington, D.C. 7 p.m., free WHERE: Anacostia Museum and Center for African American History and Culture, 1901 Fort Place S.E. INFO: Learn about the historical and cultural significance of the Ledroit and Shaw neighborhoods of Northwest D.C. from historian Dr. Edward Smith.

Black Dice/Pissed Jeans Concert 8 p.m., $12 WHERE: Rock and Roll Hotel, 1353 H St. N.E. INFO: Fill your weekly quota of avant-garde noise-rock and hardcore punk with all the unusual suspects at their H Street haunt. Rock fans that prefer more traditional fare will be pleased to know Black Dice has Pitchfork's official blessing, and working-class ne'er-do-wells Pissed Jeans are sure to throw down a lively set - and perhaps some bodily fluids in the process.