Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

The week in fun: Know your city

Scene calendar

Thursday, Nov. 29

Amy Sedaris 8 p.m., $15 tickets in advance, $25 at the door WHERE: Sixth & I Historic Synagogue, Sixth and I streets N.W. WHAT: Get to know the woman behind Jerri Blank of "Strangers with Candy," everyone's favorite 40-something, ex-drug-addict ex-hooker who returns to high school to turn her life around. Amy Sedaris has delighted audiences in a number of films as well, including "Elf," "School of Rock," and "Maid in Manhattan." Let her delight you tonight with tales of her varied career.

Dysfunction Spelled Backward 8 p.m., $5 WHERE: The Studio Theater, Katzen Arts Center at AU WHAT: AU's own Katzen Arts Center continues its exploration of new works for the theater with "Dysfunction Spelled Backward." Rumor has it this dark comedy combines "Father of the Bride" and "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" as wacky family members and their secrets disrupt a backyard wedding. The show runs until Saturday.

Friday, Nov. 30

Ra Ra Riot, Jukebox the Ghost and These United States 8:30 p.m. doors, $10 in advance, $12 at the door WHERE: Rock and Roll Hotel, 1353 H St. N.E. WHAT: Those willing to make the trek out to the burgeoning H Street corridor will not be disappointed by these promising young bands, including D.C.'s own These United States and Jukebox the Ghost. Hailing from Syracuse, Ra Ra Riot will be competing for ra-ra-rights with D.C. band Ra Ra Rasputin, who will be playing at Gold Leaf in cha-cha-Chinatown the same night.

Imaginasia Family Program: Origami Open House 2-4 p.m., free WHERE: Sackler Gallery, Jefferson Drive at 12th Street S.W. WHAT: If your origami skills are limited to turning a square into a smaller square, this workshop could be for you. Origami instructors Masami Kimura and Chikako Osawa are sure to turn that fortune-teller into a beautiful crane. Best of luck!

Saturday, Dec. 1

WAG: '60s Garage and Soul 9:30 p.m., $5 WHERE: Backstage at the Black Cat, 1811 14th St. N.W. WHAT: It's that time of the month again. Dress to the nines and pay a visit to WAG dance night at the Black Cat and hear everyone's favorite garage and soul tunes.

ZooLights 6-8:30 p.m., free WHERE: 3001 Connecticut Ave. N.W. WHAT: Imagine that game Light Bright, except giant and designed to look like your favorite animals at the zoo. Better yet, they're environmentally friendly. Don't worry that the poor pandas won't be able to sleep with those damn lights outside their habitat. Ice sculpting demonstrations and choral groups abound.

Sunday, Dec. 2

Clay Aiken Christmas Show 7 p.m., $57 for upper balcony seating WHERE: Warner Theater, 513 13th St. N.W. WHAT: Take your sweetheart to an early Christmas spectacular this Sunday featuring none other than Clay Aiken of "American Idol" fame. Aiken's 2004 holiday album, "Merry Christmas with Love," should provide the bulk of his sultry singing fodder. Fun fact: Our pal Clay will be backed by a regional orchestra!

Nutcracker Brunch at the Willard 11 a.m.-4 p.m., $75 WHERE: Willard InterContinental Washington, 1401 Pennsylvania Ave. N.W. WHAT: In the interest of providing something for everyone here at the Week in Fun, we offer you a delightful brunch at the Willard InterContinental. Take a holiday journey to Clara's Land of Sweets and munch on Granny Stalhbaum's Waffles. Bonus: Be surrounded by rich little babies and get a free gift (contents not specified)!

Monday, Dec. 3

Author talk - Nancy MacDonell: Getting in the Know 7 p.m., $15 WHERE: Corcoran Gallery of Art, 500 17th St. N.W. WHAT: MacDonell, an editor and blogger at Style.com, is prepared to tell you how to be cultured, you slovenly, impoverished loser. She'll cover topics ranging from "Top Ten Iconic Objects and Their Designers" to "Ten Hip Places to go on Holiday." Spend the $15 - you could use the advice.

"Blutsbrüder" 6:30 p.m., $6 for nonmembers, $4 for members WHERE: 812 Seventh Street N.W. WHAT: Fans of East German exploitation films will be delighted to know that the Goethe-Institut has their tastes in mind. Part of "The Red Elvis: Dean Reed in Film series," this socialist take on American "cowboys and Indians" films will be sure to deliver more Native American stereotypes than you can say "how" to.

Tuesday, Nov. 4

Christmas on S Street 10-4 p.m., $3 for students WHERE: Woodrow Wilson House, 2340 S St. N.W. WHAT: The electric lights that will adorn a majestic 12-foot tree in the solarium of the Woodrow Wilson House is just one of the festive adornments at "Christmas on S Street." Billed as a modern home-type celebration, it can be a home away from home - for loser presidents.

The Sinai Mountain Boys 6 p.m., free WHERE: Kennedy Center, New Hampshire and Virginia avenues N.W. WHAT: Combining traditional bluegrass with Jewish melodies, these Orthodox musicians from Silver Spring perform their unique genre and culture-bending "Jewgrass"