MAKING THE BASKET - Senior forward Stephanie N'Garsanet has her shot blocked by a Virginia Commonwealth University player. The Eagles ended up losing their first home game of the season.

Women's basketball blown out in opener

The women's basketball team could not build off its season-opening win, falling Tuesday to Virginia Commonwealth University 71-38.

VCU dominated from the start, out-rebounding and out-hustling the Eagles. The Rams' swarming defense stifled AU throughout the game, forcing the Eagles into sloppy turnovers and rushed shots. AU's offense was ice cold, shooting just 27 percent of its shots for the entire game and going zero for 12 shots from beyond the three-point line.

"VCU is a much better team than Longwood," head coach Melissa McFerrin said. "We weren't prepared for the things they threw at us."

The most effective strategy for the Rams was their full-court man-to-man press, which threw the Eagles' offense out of sync all game.

"It was definitely frustrating," McFerrin said.

She said she told her team she took responsibility for the effective Rams strategy since it was something she had not fully taught to the younger players on AU's team.

VCU opened the game on a 17-3 run. They also had leads of 22-5 and 31-9 before closing the first half with a 34-13 advantage.

At the top of the second half, VCU crushed any thought of an AU comeback, opening up play with a 10-2 run.

Freshman Ram guard Kita Waller led the attack with 23 points while junior Ram forward Krystal Vaughn had a game-high seven rebounds.

The little scoring the Eagles had mostly came from senior forward Stephanie N'Garsanet, junior forward Talicia Jackson and freshman guard Ashley Yencho. Each led the Eagles with six points apiece.

One of the most telling stats by the end of the game was VCU's 22-6 assist advantage over AU. The Eagles seemed to wait too long to run the offense and were often forced into taking bad shots.

VCU improved to a 2-0 record for the new season while the Eagles hold on to a record tied at 1.

"We have a chance to redeem ourselves," McFerrin said of the team's next game against Georgetown.

The game is scheduled to take place Friday at Georgetown University.