Women's soccer falls in semifinals

2-0 loss to Navy ends season, Eagles finish 10-6-3

The women's soccer team lost Friday in the semifinals of the Patriot League Tournament to Navy 2-0, ending the season.

Navy scored their first goal in the 24th minute on a counterattack. Midfielder Britney White sent a pass to senior forward Bridget Fox, the leading goal and points scorer in the Patriot League. Her shot to the bottom-right corner of the goal made it just past the outstretched arms of Eagle junior goalie Kelsey Wiggins to put the Midshipmen up one.

Nevertheless, the second-seeded Eagles had many opportunities to score. In the first minute, an Eagle ball went through Navy goalkeeper Lizzie Barnes' hands and rolled in front of the goal line. However, junior Krystn Hodge undercut her shot, sending it over the crossbar.

In the 23rd minute, just prior to Navy's first goal, Patriot League Rookie of the Year Friederike Engel corralled a ball and began a breakaway in the Midshipmen box. Barnes charged off the line to contest Engel. Engel tried to chip the ball over the Navy goalie, but Barnes made the save.

In the second half, AU got its best look to tie the game in the 71st minute when Engel sent a cross past Barnes. Freshman Brooke Sheppard seemed to be in position to send the ball into the net, but Navy midfielder Christine Calderone prevented her from getting the ball.

As the minutes ticked away, the Eagles changed their attack, substituting in a third forward and sending more backs up the field on offense. However, Navy countered by keeping 10 players back on defense, preventing the Eagles from getting any more good looks.

Navy's second goal came in the closing minutes, ensuring the win. Midshipman midfielder Julie Reynolds sent a ball over the defenders' heads from midfield. Fox tracked the ball down and chipped it into the goal over a charging Wiggins. The second goal of the game was Fox's 16th of the season, the most by a Midshipman since 2002.

In all, Navy out-shot AU 11 to eight. Both goalies made two saves during the match.

Navy improved to 13-4-4 and will advance Sunday to the Patriot League Tournament Championship Game to face tournament host Bucknell. The Eagles finished the season 10-6-3, their best season since an 11-win campaign in 2004.