Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

Hot art for your cold winter

Cross-country shows to see while at home

1. New York - Museum of Modern Art "Lucian Freud: The Painter's Etchings"

The grandson of Sigmund Freud, painter Lucian Freud, is known for his detailed, unidealized portraits. This exhibit showcases his etchings, which he would often do in conjunction with his paintings, portraying the sitter in both media. The family connection in undeniable - Freud's work is definitely psychological. The exhibit opens Dec. 16 and runs until March 10.

2. Austin, Texas; Boston; Los Angeles; Foster City, Calif.; New York; San Francisco "Mortified"

"Mortified" is a showcase of the embarrassing leftovers of adolescence. Performers read and show the things they made as children and young adults, and audiences get to laugh along with them. Letters, diaries, poems and home movies are part of the humiliation. The Foster City show is a special event, "The Mortified Guide to Jewish Guilt." Check out "Mortified's" Web site, www.getmortified.com/live, to see when they're performing near you.

3. New York - Metropolitan Museum of Art "Tapestry in the Baroque: Threads of Splendor"

A sequel to the museum's 2002 exhibit, "Tapestry in the Renaissance: Art and Splendor," "Tapestry in the Baroque" explores the world of 17th century European tapestries. It shows the significance of the art form and how it relates to other media, like paintings, etchings and drawings, some of which are also in the exhibit. "Tapestry in the Baroque" is open until Jan. 6.

4. Chicago - Art Institute of Chicago "Jasper Johns: Gray"

Jasper Johns is one of the most well-known artists alive - his bull's-eyes are one of the most recognizable images in modern art. "Gray" is a collection of more than 130 of the artist's paintings, sculptures, prints and drawings, including some new works. The focus of the exhibit is the way in which Johns has used the color gray throughout his career. The exhibit is on display at the Art Institute until Jan. 6.

5. Newport News, Va. - The Mariner's Museum "Stationary Voyages: The Boat in Photograph"

The Mariner's Museum, one of the largest international maritime museums in the world, is worth a visit on its own, but its current exhibition, "Stationary Voyages," certainly adds to its appeal. Photographers were allowed to take pictures of the boats in the museum's collection in any way they wanted. The startling new perspectives and often unusual images the artists created make viewers look at the boats with new eyes. The exhibit is open until Jan. 20.

6. London - Tate Modern "Claire Harvey: Easily-removable"

For those lucky enough to be heading across the Atlantic over winter break, the Tate Modern's installation of Claire Harvey's work is well worth a look. Harvey uses temporary, everyday media, like sticky notes and Scotch tape, to create her visions of lonely figures captured in a moment in time. The exhibit is on display until March 2.

7. Miami Beach, Fla. - Jewish Museum of Florida "ZAP! POW! BAM! The Super Hero: Jewish Creators of Comic Books 1938-1950"

This unusual exhibit at the Jewish Museum of Florida explores the dominance of Jewish writers and artists in the comic-book industry during its golden age. It argues that the idea of the superhero comes from the Jewish idea of "tikkun olam," or healing the world. The exhibit features the work of, among other greats, Will Eisner, the father of the modern graphic novel. The exhibit is open until April 30.

8. Austin, Texas - Austin Museum of Art "Roy Lichtenstein Prints 1956 - 97"

This exhibit is a career retrospective of the work of pop artist Roy Lichtenstein. Featuring more than 70 of the artist's prints from a 40-year time span, the exhibit features both his popular images and some of his lesser-known works. Though best known for his enlargements of comic book illustrations, prints of still lifes, landscapes and portraits are also in this collection. The exhibit is at the Austin Museum of Art until Feb. 3.

9. Newport Beach, Calif. - Orange County Museum of Art "Birth of the Cool: California Art, Design and Culture at Midcentury"

Almost more of an exploration of a "scene" than an art exhibit, "Birth of the Cool" looks at the idea and meaning of "cool" and its influence on art and design in the 1950s and '60s in California. Graphic and decorative arts, architecture, music and film are just some of the media showcased in this exhibit. "Birth of the Cool" is open until Jan. 6.

10. Philadelphia - Philadelphia Museum of Art "Alfred Stieglitz and the Philadelphia Museum of Art"

Although perhaps best known for being the lover and husband of artist Georgia O'Keefe, photographer and gallery owner Alfred Stieglitz was an artist in his own right. Stieglitz's photographs were donated to museum after his death and were the beginning of its photography collection. This exhibit shows the importance and poignancy of Stieglitz's photography. It is open until Jan. 31.