Monday, Oct. 21, 2024

Metro calendar

Monday, Dec. 3 Film: "The Concert for Bangladesh" 7-9 p.m. WHERE: Pickford Theater, James Madison Building, Library of Congress, 101 Independence Ave. S.E. METRO: Capitol South (blue and orange lines) INFO: View a film of George Harrison's first solo concert at Madison Square Garden. The film also features Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan and Ringo Starr. Admission is free. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-707-5677.

Tuesday, Dec. 4 National Museum of Women and the Arts Annual Holiday Gift Market 10 a.m.-8 p.m. WHERE: National Museum of Women and the Arts, 1250 New York Ave. N.W. METRO: Metro Center (blue, orange and red lines) INFO: The event will feature over 20 local and national vendors selling jewelry, children's items, textiles, stationery and other goods. The market will also be held Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Admission is free. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-783-5000.

Wednesday, Dec. 5 Cooking Demonstration - International Affair: Indian Spices 1-2:30 p.m. WHERE: Conservatory Classroom, National Botanic Garden, 100 Maryland Ave. S.W. METRO: Federal Center (blue and orange lines) INFO: Join chef Tania Mercer to make gingered orange carrot quinoa, shrimp curry and cardamom-scented rice pudding. Admission is $15. Reservations are required. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-226-8038.

Thursday, Dec. 6 Public Tour of Library of Congress' Jefferson Building 10:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. WHERE: Library of Congress, Jefferson Building, 101 Independence Ave. S.E. METRO: Capitol South (blue and orange lines) INFO: The library will offer guided tours of the building, featuring information on the building's history, collections and services provided to Congress and the country. Tours last an hour. Arrive 15 minutes before the tour to go through security. Tours are available through Dec. 12, except for Dec. 9. Admission is free. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-707-5000.

Friday, Dec. 7 Downtown Holiday Market Noon-8 p.m. WHERE: F Street between Seventh and Eighth streets N.W. METRO: Gallery Place-Chinatown (red, green and yellow lines) INFO: One hundred exhibitors, including over 40 local exhibitors, will sell crafts and gifts. Live music will be played every day. Admission is free. The market runs through Dec. 23. CONTACT: For more information, visit dhm.reiel.com/dhm/.

Saturday, Dec. 8 Lecture: Our Secret Constitution with History is a Hoot Noon-1:30 p.m. WHERE: National Archives, Constitution Avenue between Seventh and Ninth streets N.W. METRO: Archives-Navy Memorial (green and yellow lines) INFO: Espionage historian Linda McCarthy presents information on codes and codebreaking in colonial times. Admission is free. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-501-5000.

Sunday, Dec. 9 Messiah Sing-Along 2 p.m. WHERE: John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, Intersection of New Hampshire and Virginia avenues and Rock Creek Parkway N.W. METRO: Foggy Bottom-GWU (blue and orange lines) INFO: Join the Kennedy Center for a sing-along of Handel's "Messiah." Tickets are free and will be available beginning at 10 a.m. Saturday in the Hall of Nations. There is a limit of two tickets per person. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-467-4600.