Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

Stay Stylish: 'Tis the season to be stylish: Five holiday fashion mistakes

Whether it's Bridget Jones-esque chunky holiday sweaters, socks with bells or singing Christmas ties, we've all seen our fair share of holiday-fashion faux pas. However, many are not aware of the more subtle fashion mistakes frequently made during the holiday season. Whether you're off to a family holiday party, dinner or just dressing for the season, it's important to not go overboard. We've gathered the five most common mistakes made during this festive time of year and different ways to correct them.

Oversparkling

It's not attractive to go out looking brighter than your Christmas tree. Many people falsely believe the holiday season is a valid excuse to break out all of their silver and gold ensembles at once. Metallics, sparkles and sequins are all acceptable attire for the season, but being the most stylish one at the party doesn't require being as bright as one of the window displays at Saks Fifth Avenue. Try wearing one sequined piece with a neutral color - like black or navy blue- to balance it out. For maximum impact, wearing just one embellishment at a time will help you glitter to your full potential at any holiday gathering.

Showing too much skin

Although many stores sell revealing Christmas outfits at this time of year, it's important to remember that it's still chilly outside. Put a blazer over that lacy camisole and some tights under that sparkly mini skirt. If you arrive at a holiday party wearing less clothes than everyone else, you'll look stupid, not sexy. Here's a good rule to live by: If your shirt has sleeves, it is probably acceptable for the season. Long sleeves are preferable, but short, puffed princess sleeves with a high neck are also a cute way to look festive. If you absolutely have to wear your sleeveless shirt, do everyone a favor by throwing over a cropped sweater and a blazer, but not a shawl.

Combining holiday colors in one outfit

For those of you who celebrate Hanukkah- lucky you! Your colors match. Blue and silver will rarely ever look bad together, so celebrate away. For those of you who celebrate Christmas, you are not as fortunate. We know that red and green are the classic Christmas colors- but just because you see red and green on the sweater that your grandma gave you doesn't mean they match. Separate red and green. Always. Enough said.

Being under- or overdressed

Since it's the holiday season, everyone is bound to be flooded with party invitations once they return home. It's important to dress well for these, especially because we've been away for months and want to come back with a bang. Whether you're going to a family gathering, a performance of "The Nutcracker" or the annual Christmas Ball, it's crucial to dress accordingly. A good rule to instate for yourself is to never wear jeans. Not with heels, not with a nice top, not even if they're red or green jeans. Never. If you're trying to make a good impression, wearing jeans is a surefire way not to do it. Men, this goes for you, too. Jeans aren't acceptable with a suit jacket or shirt with a tie. Try wearing corduroys- they are cute, comfortable and seasonally appropriate.

Things that you just don't EVER wear

For our last holiday-fashion tip, we decided to put the things that, no matter what the circumstance, you should never be caught wearing. First, the holiday sweater. It's ugly. Never wear it. Next, the holiday brooch- we know that this may seem like a simple way to spruce your outfit up for the holidays, but it isn't. They are tacky and, although small, can ruin an entire outfit. For men, holiday ties are a big "no." When you wear a tie, you're telling the world, "It's business time." When you wear a holiday tie, you are telling the world, "Not only am I unstylish, I look like an elf just threw up on me, and I'm a fool because I am unaware of either of these things." Don't even get us started on singing ties. For the accessory-obsessed, ornament earrings and jingle-bell jewelry should be avoided. Save the ornaments for your tree. And for the record, jingle-belling wherever you're going is a terrible way to announce your arrival.

So, this season when you go out to celebrate your respective holidays, look stylish and spread holiday cheer. Merry ChristmaKwanzakah, everybody.

Stay Stylish, Lara and Virginia